PDA

View Full Version : New to forum need help with my 6.5

Medic83
10-19-2015, 13:51
Hello all,
I recently bought a 1994 suburban 2500 with some issues rotted fuel lines and rusted tank. Replacing everything at the moment but want to figure out a way to get the engine to start before I replace all the parts. I'm getting these codes.
I've dropped old fuel tank and removed lines drained old fuel from filter. Any ideas? I was thinking about running hose to fuel pump from diesel can and bleed air and try to fire it. Also it is about 30 f here and when I switch key over glow plug light only lights for less than a sec hear the tick from relay and I'm getting 6 volts at relay. I've looked up codes just seems a little overwhelming and a chance they might all be related.

Robyn
10-20-2015, 07:55
Welcome :):)

The codes are so random and don't really look to be related, other than I think you may have either voltage issues or ground issues.

Battery connections are very important on these rigs.

Very clean and positive connections are needed at the battery ( + and - ) and at the block for the grounds.

There are 2 grounds at the rear of the intake on the passenger side (near the tranny dip stick)

These are very important.

With both batteries topped up you should see no less than 13.5 volts at the main power feed into the chassis.

Clear all the codes and then see what shows up.

To get it started you need all the air out of the fuel delivery system (filter)
Run the electric fuel pump until clean air free fuel is coming out of the air bleed.

The glow controller should stay on about 10-15 seconds at least, and a bit more if cold out.

Having the batteries unhooked and the reconnected will cause the system to short cycle, but it should cycle properly after a few times being cycled.

One of the codes referred to the coolant temp sensor.
You may have a faulty sensor.

Try unplugging the temp sensor (On the coolant crossover up front)

If this gets things going then replace the sensor.

Get the battery cables/grounds all good (checked/cleaned) then see what shakes

Good luck

Missy

Medic83
10-20-2015, 15:13
I will give this a try tomorrow i was thinking there might be some ground issues now that I have a good idea where to focus on hopefully it will help. This truck hasn't started in 2 years so fingers crossed.

Robyn
10-21-2015, 07:11
Both batteries need to be good, both grounds clean and tight on both ends.

Be sure the crossover cable is good as well.

The RH battery feeds the starter and the chassis feed, but the LH battery is connected to to alternator.

At times the crossover cable will be sketchy and not deliver full power across.

These suckers need 2 full batteries to get things happening.

Good luck

jrsavoie
10-21-2015, 17:03
I also add another OEM cable from the Alternator to the battery that is not currently being fed.

svcattle
10-24-2015, 10:25
You might replace all the battery cables just because they are tight doesn't mean the cables arent bad internally been fighting this alot latley

jrsavoie
10-24-2015, 10:38
You might replace all the battery cables just because they are tight doesn't mean the cables arent bad internally been fighting this alot latley

Yep things seem to go in spurts. I've been replacing engine harnesses as I work on vehicles. 2 down, 2 to go

I haven't had much battery cable issue yet,