PDA

View Full Version : DSG and dual T-stats in '93 6.5 TD

Scott D
07-29-2003, 19:05
Can someone give me an idea of how many hours it might take for me to do the job of the cooling upgrade and replacing the timing chain with a gear set? I will probably have to figure double the amount of time to be safe, but I just need to know what I'm looking at. Thanks.

patrick m.
07-29-2003, 19:13
about 6 hours at a relaxed, but not slow rate.
you could probably do it in 4 if you were really in a hurry, but that it when mistakes happen.

Scott D
07-29-2003, 22:26
6 hours seems pretty quick to me, so that is good news - I was hoping to be able to do it in a weekend. It always seems to take me longer than what someone else says. I don't have a lot of experience working on cars/trucks, but I have thought about doing this project long enough and now I really need to get it done. I just need to finish wiring my new shop so I have a place to work on the truck. smile.gif

I'll have to read up on the install if I can find that old article that I saved on it before. Back when I was first thinking about doing the mod, FatBoy had a good post describing the whole process with pictures. FatBoy, are you still around and do you still have those pictures?

cruzer
07-30-2003, 09:00
Scott D, Are you doing these mods to the 93? Do you have the 1999 feature articles and product reviews? On mech injection for the cooling mods, you know you have to make a throttle bracket and cut, alter & reweld the alum. thermostat housing plus there's some welding for the bracket which is easy enuff and grinding the idler pulley bracket. The 1999 book and supplement on this subject has drawings for the bracket and housing to go by and alot of pics. It was really helpful to make things go fairly easy but added time to the job. If you don't have the books order them from More Power(Jim) and tell him to include the supplement. On the sketches, they are not quite to scale. You need to make them about 10% larger.Maybe you already know this. Good Luck!!!

billg
07-30-2003, 10:36
Hi Scott D,

I made a list when I did mine. This included all of the things I needed to order and the things that I needed done by local shops (welding t-stat housing/new radiator). From there I was able to have everything on my bench before the wrenches started turning. It turned out to be 9 days for me spanning two weekends. This was largely due to radiator re-core and finding another welding shop after the first one screwed up. I didn