PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 starter

Bama
10-23-2015, 20:15
My started broke the nose off and i put a new one on but now it just grind dont catch enough of the flywheel to turn the motor over its just grinds

a5150nut
10-24-2015, 08:14
Do you have the brace on it? Or are you just mounted thru the bolts to the block?

If no brace get one and put it on ASAP!

Bama
10-24-2015, 11:22
Yea i have the brace but not sure how it goes on

DmaxMaverick
10-24-2015, 11:36
You should remove the starter and check the block for cracked starter bolt holes. This can happen when the starter housing breaks. Even without the brace, the starter should engage correctly, (almost, until it breaks again). Bent bolts can also cause this, and should be replaced with new (OEM!!), especially after breaking the housing. Also, NO shims should be needed, even if included with a new starter. The need of shims is usually an indicator of another serious problem.

Bama
10-26-2015, 20:10
Thank you for telling that info.i got it the shop now i guess they will find out what went wrong thank you

jrsavoie
10-31-2015, 05:36
Do you have the brace on it? Or are you just mounted thru the bolts to the block?

If no brace get one and put it on ASAP!

I would not recommend anybody ever try starting a 6.5 without the brace installed.

A shop replaced the starter on my son's truck and tested it before installing the brace. Broke the block, the first hit of the key.

Bama
11-02-2015, 16:36
Can it be fixed if the bolthole is crack

jrsavoie
11-02-2015, 19:32
Possibly, but doubtful. All depends on how it's broke

Dvldog8793
11-02-2015, 20:15
Howdy
I have repaired two of them. As far as I know they both held.
They were out of the trucks and disassembled.
If it cracked/broke it would VERY hard if not impossible to repair in the vehicle.

DmaxMaverick
11-02-2015, 21:22
As said previously, much depends on how it is cracked. The "Lock 'n Stitch" method is very often effective. Others can be welded or cross-bolted. It needs to visit a competent machine shop, on a pallet. In almost any case, trying a repair with the engine installed is an exercise in futility. If it's loose as it is, it isn't likely an in-frame repair candidate. A cross-bolt may be an option, which can be done (reluctantly) in-frame, but I'd have to see it up close before I would suggest it. Some REALLY GOOD pics would be helpful.

Robyn
11-03-2015, 08:30
I have repaired one block.

It was out of the rig and all the way down to BARE

We stuffed the block in the mill and notched it out and carefully fitted a new chunk of steel into the area.

We cross bolted the new piece into the block.

Was a PITA BUT HELD FINE.

With the engine in the truck there is no room.

It could be done with the engine out on the floor and some careful use of a small disc grinder to cut out the broken area and then fit in a block of steel that's drilled and tapped for the starter bolt.

Then add a heavy strap up the edge of the block and bolt in place.

It's not a pretty picture no matter what.