PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Bolts

VA_GMC
07-29-2003, 21:12
I'm 25% of the way through my rotor replacement and rounded off 1 of the 4 15mm bolts on the back side of the hub. I think rust had taken several thousandths of metal off the bolt head. I was able to get it out with a Craftsman extractor - great tool!

Is the dealer the only place to go for replacement bolts?

tom.mcinerney
07-29-2003, 22:41
Lots of aftermarket car/truck shops have some of the hardware. The dealer probably is best source for quality-controlled hardware. Northern Auto Parts has quality engine hardware kits for some engines, but not 6.5L. Might call 'ARP','Dorman', 'Rockford' ,see if they offer anything.
Two places i use to fill in : 1.)MSC Industrial Supply, 2.) Mcmaster-Carr Supply. Both easy find thru 'Google'; both ship immediately(i usually receive credit/online order on second or third day after ordering). Be certain to order same grade of bolt{8.8, 9.8, 10.9, 12.8} as OEM original. If install with some a.) pipe thread compound, b.)locktite242 ,or c.) silicone rtv smeared on the threads, probably won't have to replace again, and even if submerged, fastenings will thread out.

britannic
07-29-2003, 22:46
Another source of OEM GM parts is Flow Chevrolet @ www.gmpartsdirect.com. (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com.)

VA_GMC
07-30-2003, 19:52
Thanks for the replies. I called the dealer today.. they have the bolts for $6.39/ea!

I looked on a few of the other websites and while most have a lot of parts, I had some trouble finding something small like a bolt. Because of the location/importance of these bolts, I will likely buy from the dealer this time.