PDA

View Full Version : Changing from electronic to manual ip

Schwaabed
10-29-2015, 18:28
I'm new here have been looking around on here for awhile
Can't find where some one has taken off elec ip and put on mechanical
I know it can be done was just wondering what all it will affect I know the cruise will not work
Was really wondering what all needed to be done

This is on my 96 k2500 5 speed

trbankii
10-30-2015, 01:11
Take a look at this post: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=30513

It also has the link to the article on the swap.

Robyn
10-30-2015, 07:18
With the 5 speed it's a pretty easy go

You need, of course, a 4911 DB2 mechanical IP
A complete set of injector lines that came from a rig with mech. IP

The wiring on the engine will need to be modified a bit to provide a good solid 12V source to the IP when the key is on.

You will need to install a 120F temp switch in the Rear port on the RH head to control the fast idle and cold advance (Series circuit with power to the IP)

Keep the ECM to run the glow plug controller, and the coolant temp switch is also needed (top of water outlet pipe)

Your ses light is going to be on (yank the bulb)

Things like the crank sensor will be nothing more than a cork in the hole.

Your temp gauge wire is needed as is the oil pressure switch connections.

This should get it going.

You will need to fiddle with the actual timing a bit to get it in the sweet spot.

Keep the IP straight up and down in relation to the engine.

A hard hot start or blue smoke is an indication of retarded timing (warm engine)

An EGT gauge would be great to help tweak the timing.

High temps at moderate throttle = retarded timing

If you can get an optical timing meter you can drop things spot on.

Be sure to get a 4911 IP as the units for the 6.2 are a tad light on the fuel

Have fun

Missy

Schwaabed
10-30-2015, 08:46
Thanks guys I have a complete pickup with a bad engine with the correct pump and everything to go along with it I just didn't know if there was something I was not thinking of thanks for the info much appreciated :)

Yukon6.2
11-05-2015, 23:48
Hi Schwaabed
I did it two summers ago on my 98 3500 tow truck.If you check my threads you should be able to read it.I think i added a few pictures.I have the dual thermostat housing which makes it a little more difficult.I routed the throttle cable in next to the housing and built a adapter block to hook it up in the new position.When i make any mods to a vehicle i like to be able to replace parts with stock stuff.
Pm me if i can help in any way.
Thomas

Yukon6.2
11-05-2015, 23:58
Found it http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=43781