PDA

View Full Version : Gear drive

bgstew
11-03-2015, 09:27
Looking for a gear drive or as many I can get have 4 motors I would like to put them in.
If anyone knows where I can even find new ones even if I have to ship from Canada no problem.
Looking into possibility of having some made up but need a new complete set to take measurements off.
Any help would be appreciated

Bgstew

trbankii
11-03-2015, 09:38
Kennedy Diesel had the last of the new ones as far as I know. I picked one up the other month, but it looks like they are gone now: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults2.cfm?Category=1&SubCategory=193

bgstew
11-04-2015, 07:53
Thanks for the reply yes he is out really is frustrating wish I checked earlier. I talked to JK he is looking into reposing gear drive if that does happen it will be months or even longer till one is available. Am building 3 more motors and would like the durability og gear vs chain.

Well if you or anyone you know would like to sell your gear drive please let me know. Any leads are appreciated. bgstew@yahoo.com 760-715-7204

B

trbankii
11-04-2015, 08:40
John had posted this past spring about them being discontinued (POST (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=43956)) and I contacted him to see how many he had and how urgent it was to snap one up. From his reply, I quickly got my order in. I’ve got one in both my K2500 and my Yukon.

bgstew
11-04-2015, 09:35
Could you perceive a difference how motor performed/ fuel mileage? Was the gear added for just for reliability? The article on the DP website indicated better mpg starts better and runs a little stronger.

trbankii
11-06-2015, 08:27
The timing chains were fairly tight on my trucks when I replaced them, so there wasn’t as significant a difference as for those that were replacing a loose chain. I also put in a Fluidampr on each truck as well. Between the two, the engines seem to run a whole lot smoother than before.

The mileage/performance increases are relatively minor from the numbers that I have seen. I did mine more for the reliability than for any numerical gains.

Dvldog8793
11-10-2015, 09:07
Howdy
When I replaced the timing set with a gear set I noticed much crisper response and MAYBE a slight mileage increase. I was replacing a chain set with 100,000 miles on it. So hard to say if a new good quality chain set would be any different than a gear set for mileage. The response I could maybe see due to the fact that there is no play in a gear set vs. a chain set will always have some degree of play/slop.

jrsavoie
11-24-2015, 06:32
leroydiesel.com has gear drives now

trbankii
11-24-2015, 07:09
Hmmm… Any idea who is making them?

jrsavoie
11-24-2015, 07:35
Hmmm… Any idea who is making them?

I think he is having them made. Contact Leroy. I haven't heard anybody have a bad deal with him

Big Green
11-30-2015, 09:38
The only one he has listed on his site is for the DB2 pumps....

Big Green

jrsavoie
12-01-2015, 15:12
The only one he has listed on his site is for the DB2 pumps....

Big Green

Contact him to ask. He was looking for parts required for the other pumps. Like the timing chain kits, there isn't much difference between mechanical and computerized timing chains or gears

jrsavoie
12-01-2015, 15:18
I have close to 300,000 on one timing set and about 100,000 on all the others. They were all done in the 150 to 200,000 mile range and they all have 300,000 miles or so on them now.

I have fluidampers on everything except the 94. That one is still sitting on the shelf waiting for me to do the timing chain and gears. I think it has about 290,000 miles on the original chain and gears. Unless the previous owner did the dirty deed before I got the truck.

I plan on selling the 94 now. My wife doesn't like it and wants an automatic transmission. I'm looking but not terribly hard

DmaxMaverick
12-01-2015, 20:16
Contact him to ask. He was looking for parts required for the other pumps. Like the timing chain kits, there isn't much difference between mechanical and computerized timing chains or gears

The DS crank gear/sprocket will have the reluctor required for the crank position sensor, which makes it longer (also requiring the correct balancer). A DB crank gear can be used, but a spacer with the reluctor is required. Some of the DS gear kits included the same crank gear as the DB, but with a spacer/reluctor for DS applications. Otherwise, they are identical.