PDA

View Full Version : Battery life

Scott D
07-29-2003, 22:59
How long of a life have can one expect out of their batteries in their diesel pick-up? My truck sits quite a bit these days, and one time last winter when I went to start it, the batteries were dead. It has been taking longer to start lately (like cranking for 5 seconds), when it used to start right up with just barely a turn of the key. I replaced both batteries in the summer of '98, so the batteries are now 5 years or so old.

Turbo Al
07-29-2003, 23:43
Scott, my 1993 has been sitting since I bought the 2001 and I TRY to start it once a month. Both batteries went dead and would not hold a charge. I checked them with a Hydrometer and found the acid very weak -- almost to the point of being water. I drained and refilled them with new acid and one revived and the other still would not hold a charge. My truck starts fine with just the one battery. They are at least 5 years old now.

tanker
07-30-2003, 04:32
I had some bad luck with the Delco battery's that came with the truck, one replaced under warranty at 30 months, less than a year later it leaked acid all over the front of the engine compartment. (no waranty, as it was installed under the 36,000-36 month vehicle warranty!!) I had my fill with the Delco brand, and now have Walmarts best for a few years now. (better warranty-less cost)
I think that 5 years is about it for any battery. A low battery will damage the starter. Battery's are cheaper. Just my opinion.

CleviteKid
07-30-2003, 08:10
Don't forget the battery terminal connections, and the connection at the starter. Loosening connections and a little corrosion can give these symptoms. Have you changed out GM's lousy little side terminal bolts for a real bolt, such as described at:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/batterm.htm ?

This modification has helped HUNDREDS of members.

Dr. Lee :cool:

britannic
07-30-2003, 08:46
The traditional liquid acid and lead plate/paste batteries will start despositing sulphate on the internal plates without a regular charge, weakening the sulphuric acid solution in the process and eventually leading to a dead and unrevivable door-stop :D .

[ 07-30-2003, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: britannic ]

ChevyDooley
07-31-2003, 14:26
Actually the truth is sometimes if sulfate builds and it wont take a charge just leave it on longer. Eventually the charge will break down the sulfate and revive the battery. You'd be suprised.