PDA

View Full Version : '01 2500HD 6.6, Manual primer pump rebuilt, purged system no start with code U1000

TexasDee
11-05-2015, 23:13
Need some serious input, first diesel engine, but having a duramax parked is just plain WRONG!! Fueled up after running extremely low on fuel, drove 3mi, parked for 30min. Restarted fine, went 150 yrds and engine bogged/died. Had previously been experiencing this randomly (1-2 times a month) usually on first start of the day. Manual primer pump...1/4 -1/2 turn several good bubbles out and on the go again. [This is my first diesel so please be patient, I can play all day on a gas engine but I'll never buy another gas powered p/u after goin thru the gears of my first duramax.] SO....my codes read low fuel rail pressure, minor line leak,& major line leak. Rebuild primer pump (with kit missing bleeder valve which is in rough shape by now & otw for now), also replaced both fuel hoses running to/off the filter primer housing. Bled air out via bleeder valve...no start. Hooked clear hose to output of primer housing outgoing fuel and used transfer pump until all bubbles even tiny ones were no longer visible. Replaced line still no start and, of course only a single U1000 code. During the last drive up the driveway which is a half a mile or so, with the hammer down i could not get my RPMs over 20000

a5150nut
11-06-2015, 12:29
TexasDee welcome to the Diesel Page.

Do you by chance have an in ground fuel tank that you fill off of?

What condition is your fuel filter?

Have you checked lines from tank for air leaks?

And last, could you run up to Fort Worth to Joe T Garcia's and send some good Mexican food this way? Please, please, please. (;<)

More Power
11-06-2015, 14:00
Welcome.
Anytime someone says they began having trouble soon after a fuel stop, I ask whether it's a possibility that gasoline was mistakenly put into the tank.

Lots of earlier threads here about how to locate a fuel supply line leak. Basically, you pressurize the fuel tank using NO MORE THAN 5 to 10 psi. If there's a leak fuel will seep at the leak site. The fuel supply line is under vacuum from the engine compartment to the fuel tank. A leak will allow air to migrate into the fuel line.

Let us know.

TexasDee
11-07-2015, 05:05
No, i dont use an in ground tank, the fuel filter is new (replaced with rebuild of primer pump), and i have not checked from the tank to the pump but as soon as the rain stops I'll chk , considering the condition of the rubber under the hood i should've already checked those hoses. :rolleyes: thnx....as for runnin up to Ft.Worth, no friggin way but i can have the ranch hands wife whip u up a care package with tamales and Carne Guisada thats out of this world, oh not to leave out the meneudo for those hangovers.:)

Kennedy
11-09-2015, 08:13
Every Dmax should have a lift pump. Those with lift pumps seldom if ever have filter head problems. Those that do not have lift pumps frequently do. Adding a lift pump will keep the filter full of fuel and not air. Your filter wil perform better, and many say that the engine is smoother and more responsive as well.