PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Tubing....

GMCfourX4
11-04-2003, 10:36
Well.... After about 3 weeks of weekend and after-work hours spent in the garage, I finally have a Cummins intercooler sandwiched into a 6.5 Basically I made it fit where the radiator used to be, moved the radiator out about 2.5", and installed dual electric fans. Part of the reason it took 3 weeks was all the cutting, welding, and fabrication.... I had to move both batteries and make a new air filter box.
Here's the problem :D - I need to find aluminum tubing to hook the whole mess up. My plan is to remove the entire upper intake manifold, and replace it with a piece of plate aluminum with a mandrel bent 90* pointing straight down into the intake through the middle of the plate. Does anyone know where I can get mandrel bent aluminum tubing (I will probably run 3" for most of it, but I believe the turbo outlet is 2 3/4" O.D., and the intercooler inlet/outlet are 3 3/4" O.D.) Due to clearance issues, I may even have to go with a cast aluminum elbow in a couple of places. I live in the Boston area, but if there is any place I can get the parts for a reasonable price, I would buy them mail-order. I also need to find some good silicone rubber couplings, if anyone knows where those are to be had for a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance,
-Chris

cruzer
11-04-2003, 10:50
So the I/C is behind the rad?

Turbine Doc
11-04-2003, 11:07
Chris,
Check out Alamo Autosport that is where I found my fittings for my K1500 IC shoehorn project, I don't think there is such a thing as cheap silicone, goes for $6 a inch if I remember correctly, www.alamoautosports.com (http://www.alamoautosports.com) , Turbonetics/Spearco has thinwall silicone fittings 1/16", Alamos are twice as thick 1/8"

As for aluminum tubing I don't know where you might come across it but JC Whitneys has steel mandrel bent exhaust fittings that could be of use, a 180U cut in half would make 2 short turn 90's, anothe tube you could use is Hp Stainless HVAC ducting, I used stainless exhaust but got wrong stuff only rated to 3 psi, so I had air/poil weepage at corrugations.

GMCfourX4
11-04-2003, 11:33
Thanks Tim, I'm checking it out now....

cruzer - the intercooler is behind the A/C condenser, flush against the radiator core support, and the radiator lives right behind the intercooler (closer to the engine) in between the inlet/outlet tubes. Its quite a tight fit, but it seems to work. I may be doing an article, if Jim likes my pictures and writeup. I should have some pics up after I get a few more taken (right now all I have are partially finished pics...).

-Chris

cruzer
11-04-2003, 12:23
Sounds great. A friend of mine has a cummins
and that did cross my mind when I seen the Dodge
I/C. I just didn't have the time to fab it up.
I was thinking at the time of moving the condeser behind core support and I/C in front. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

BuffaloGuy
11-04-2003, 12:34
Hey GMC, try e-bay for the fittings and piping you need. Search under intercooler and you will find several companies that sell what you need that have scores of listings.

Sounds like quite a project. Keep us posted as to how it works. Looking forward to the pics too.
Ken

GMCfourX4
11-04-2003, 12:43
Thanks.... I'm just glad I have the stupid thing mounted. I spent 3 weeks driving a '90 Jimmy with ripped seats and no radio (I had the 'ol mental radio, but the *** are really annoying... :D ) Even though the intercooler isn't hooked up yet, I have noticed a difference in the way she runs just from having the electric fans, airbox, and Heath boost control on there.

Here's a picture from one of my trial fittings of the intercooler. I will post some better ones of the way it sits now as soon as I get a chance.

ftp://66.152.236.149/TruckPictures/aut_0174.jpg

-Chris

gmctd
11-05-2003, 04:35
Try the local boneyards, or Peninsular Marine has it for sure - the late non-turbo 6.5 has the identical piece you're looking for, can be installed to either side, fits the lower intake plenum.
Check out Peninsular 6.5 Parts section for a pic.