PDA

View Full Version : 3" muffler choices

BobQ
11-29-2015, 18:02
My dad and I are looking into putting a single 3" exhaust on his '84 6.2L N/A and I was curious if anyone knows of a 3" full-flowing muffler that sounds as close to stock as possible.

Thanks!

Dvldog8793
11-29-2015, 20:11
Howdy
Before I put headers on I had a dual 2inch system with Flowmaster mufflers. Real nice mellow sound and pretty good flow. JEG's has a great selection for high perf mufflers.
A good cheap high flow system can be made from Hummer manifolds available on ebay.
Currently I have long tube headers by stan and 3" racing mufflers with silencers on the tips exiting in front of the wheels. Great flow but NOT mellow, at about 2400rpm it starts to feel like your eyeballs are gonna explode...:eek:

BobQ
11-29-2015, 21:42
Thanks for the info. I'll check out Jegs. Have you heard anything regarding the Walker Quiet-Flow mufflers?

Dvldog8793
11-30-2015, 04:51
No, but I know in the past walker made good products.
As a side question....My son is looking at replacing his gears with 3.73 or 3.55. He has the same drivetrain as your truck. What type of performance do you get and do you ever pull trailers with it?
Thanks!

BobQ
11-30-2015, 21:37
I like the 3.73s, but I don't pull much with it. I have pulled a 14' aluminum boat and a 10' utility trailer and that's about it. It does ok pulling both of those. Honestly, I think my injection pump could use freshening up and that's why I think it's a bit more sluggish than normal. It does run well on the highway with the 3.73s and the NV4500; feels much more comfortable and relaxed than it did with the SM465.

Rhaegon
12-20-2015, 17:08
Howdy
Before I put headers on I had a dual 2inch system with Flowmaster mufflers. Real nice mellow sound and pretty good flow. JEG's has a great selection for high perf mufflers.
A good cheap high flow system can be made from Hummer manifolds available on ebay.
Currently I have long tube headers by stan and 3" racing mufflers with silencers on the tips exiting in front of the wheels. Great flow but NOT mellow, at about 2400rpm it starts to feel like your eyeballs are gonna explode...:eek:

Can't wait to get rid of this stock system which vehicle are you speaking of in this post?
You had me at eye explode :eek:

Dvldog8793
12-20-2015, 19:03
Howdy
That vehicle is my 1986 k5 blazer.
The Headers by Stan are expensive but they work good and are high quality. One of the moderators here did a project truck that he used the stock manifolds opened up and he got good results with that.