PDA

View Full Version : oil cooler plugged

Big Green
11-30-2015, 09:27
found this while doing some maintenance work on my truck recently.

I couldn't get the one oil cooler line to turn loose so I cut the line and pulled the oil cooler out completely. I'm glad I did. The a/c evaporator was completely clogged behind it.

So I'd suggest if you have the grill out for any reason to at least check it.

Big Green
'95 K2500

a5150nut
11-30-2015, 15:23
You might want to pull fan, shroud, and radiator as you will find same mess between AC condenser and radiator.

Big Green
12-01-2015, 05:36
I had the radiator out when I did the timing chain to gear drive a few years ago and it was nasty in there as well.

Instead of pulling the radiator this time I pulled the a/c condenser. It had a lot of rocks and assorted stuff in it so I blew it out. The area behind the oil cooler was totally plugged.

It's all clear now.

Big Green

a5150nut
12-01-2015, 06:24
I used to run black nylon window screen in front of stack behind grill. Bugs don't tend to stick to it. I was running the Sacramento valley every week and during the summer there are little green bugs coming off the rice fields. When I got home as soon as I pulled in the driveway and shut down the birds would attack the grill and front of truck. It would be covered in a green mat of bugs. But with the screen none got into the radiator, condenser, or oil cooler.

Robyn
12-01-2015, 17:18
Yes indeed, the critters and other junk can sure mess up the cooling capability.