PDA

View Full Version : spra01- Sounds like Grounds

ucdavis
11-04-2003, 12:28
Spra01-
I saw your post on the survey. Sounds like grounds due to the fluctuation w/turn signal. @ 300K grounds are suspect due to age, corrosion, vibration, etc.
There is a ground on back of dash; I'd start there & brighten the connection & snug it down.
Also, you might want to read "Stalls, no glow plug light..." by Dennis22; good discussion of misc. high mileage cabling issues there.

spra01
11-05-2003, 08:36
I as well suspected grounds and have cleaned every ground I could find, but that does not include the one behind the dash you refer to, where abouts behind the dash would I find this?
Of the grounds I have checked none of them had any apparent problems.
I will give the article you mentioned another read.
Thanks

ucdavis
11-05-2003, 11:59
Yours is different from mine (i'd bet) which has an alum. buss bar to which all grounds tie, then a main strap to frame from buss.
I seem to recall a post citing a nut on back of dash that was common ground for cluster, but you'll have to do the bent back routine to find it or its eqiuvalent.
Good luck.

tom.mcinerney
11-05-2003, 19:49
Spra01-
A while back i visited a mechanic's shop. He was replacing intake manifold gaskets on mid '90s Chevy V8 gasser. Said the gaskets dry/shrink, bolts lose torque, leak develops. On Felpro web page they write about aluminum heads being good- sealing because the aluminum expands more than steel bolts as heat-up. Anyway, our intake man studs for grounding probably need (careful, because the flanges can crack) snugging.
On my '95 there's an instrument panel ground in cab, a PCM ground in cab , the heater blower grounds to engine; the cab grounds depend on battery/chassis grounds.
UCal-hope you bring lube additives along when travel south--maybe not relevant anymore, but a friend (10 years back) said the Mexico diesel was ruinous....