PDA

View Full Version : Spare tire cable

CoyleJR
12-04-2015, 19:10
Today I pulled my spare tire down to replace it. When I removed the spare I noticed that the cable that holds it up was in bad shape. There were only three strands that were not broken. Does anyone know if you have to buy the entire crank assembly or is the cable replaceable?

My spare has never been loose and rocking back and forth to cause the cable to wear/break. I guess that the truck is ten years old and things are going to start to break. The cable broke at the bottom and is easy to check by lowering the spare without removing it.

I wasn't sure what category to post this in so if there is a better place to post it please move it. Thanks John

Ian7
01-26-2016, 19:29
Similar situation on my 2004. Last thing I wanted was for it to drop and go bouncing along under the trailer.
Spare now rides in the bed, cost nothing to relocate it, use a cable lock I had on hand to keep it from being "borrowed". :-)

DieselDavy
01-27-2016, 10:38
Hi John,
There are plenty of places that sell the correct assembly. Seems like every couple of Model Years, there is a slight change to the assembly. I bought one on eBay. I think it was a Dealer that was selling on eBay. Rock Auto had them also, priced pretty good.
This assembly will replace the whole shebang. ~$100 depending on year and model.
Dave