PDA

View Full Version : replacing engine 6.5

woodrous
11-04-2003, 15:14
I have heard that the 6.5 diesel fits in trucks that originally had the 6.2
My question is.. Are there any diesel motors that fits in the 6.5 trucks (1996/1997 etc)
Considering the ongoing problems with these motors (PMD, IP etc) I love my truck but would consider dropping in another diesel if it would work and give me reliability.
I have the PMD Cooler and new FSD but have not yet installed as the verdict is out if it even works! Quite honestly I am getting frustrated!
Thanks for any input

D. Rous

G B Sisson
11-04-2003, 19:41
Look at the members vehicles section on TDP and see the Isuzu powered Chev truck,that looks like a good one to me.Note that it repowers an older 6,2 rig,but seems feasible Gary. ps I can almost see Victoria BC from my island here...pss..anyplace I can look in BC for a toyota Diesel for my 66 landcruiser pickup ?

turbovair
11-05-2003, 11:40
Theres an oufit now putting Cummins 5.9 into Fords and Chevys. I have seen a Sub with Cummins badging.I think the conversion is like $13,000 if you take vehicle in and pick up. If you buy engine/adapters you save a couple thou or so in labor.Sorry I cant remember name.

Cowracer
11-05-2003, 11:49
if all you are worried about is the FSD, then instead of swapping in a diffrent motor, why not just convert over to a mechnical pump. Sure there are some headaches involved, but nothing like the thermonuclear pain in the ass that a motor swap would be.

Tim