PDA

View Full Version : Service 4WD message.

DickWells
12-06-2015, 21:57
Anybody have advice as to where to start looking when this message comes up intermittently? Came on once, a few days ago and wouldn't let me get into 4wd, high, or low. It went away after a little bit, and I could go in and out of 4wd at will, and it worked just fine. Message came back this morning, and is still on, but 4wd works.

More Power
12-07-2015, 12:34
Dick, this has come up before here in this forum. The culprit usually winds up being the switch panel. I even produce an article a few years ago showing how to R&R the panel. A search here in this forum should produce a number of threads about it.

jbplock
12-07-2015, 18:13
Dick,
As More Power indicated the switch panel is a likely suspect for the Service 4WD indicator. I also had that problem on my 03 when it was relatively new with 18k miles and it and it was due to a faulty encoder motor in transfer case. It was replaced under warranty and has not recurred .. I'm currently at 113k miles with no further Service 4wd issues. At the time of the problem I removed the the transfer case fuse as a precaution until it was fixed to prevent getting stick in 4WD low.. :)

DickWells
12-07-2015, 18:41
thank you, guys. I'll check it over.

DmaxMaverick
12-08-2015, 00:10
I'll second MP's suggestion. Most often, it's only the switch cluster. Cheap and a very easy DIY.

DickWells
12-08-2015, 11:14
Thanks. The more I look your information over, the more it looks/sounds like what has been happening over the last several months to my unit. I'll order up a switch and give it a try. This morning; nothing out of the ordinary showing.