PDA

View Full Version : Gauges wont work

Hooptybass
12-11-2015, 20:26
Ok the other morning i jumped in my burb and cranked her to life and then i lost all my gauges in the dash . It still runs and drives just fine and will start when warm . But my glows wont work or my gauges . Anyone ever run into this before ?

Thanks Brian

rustyk
12-12-2015, 18:09
Yep. Check the connector at the back of the instrument panel; mine came loose a few years ago.

HH
12-15-2015, 17:13
May seem obvious, but I have had that happen, it was a fuse.

More Power
12-16-2015, 09:53
Can you hear the glow relay activate?

Do the nighttime dash lights work?

Hooptybass
12-23-2015, 13:37
Well i pulled the dash and it was plugged in good .. and now im sure it is . Put it all back to gether and checked the fuses . It was blown but i put one in and then turned the key on my dash came on for a second then blew the fuse again , and several more when i tried. SOO i got it started and ran for about 3 mins or so then just shut off like the fuel pump quit . Now Im wondering since the gauges wont work will the fuel pump still get a signal from the OPS to run .
And has anyone had this problem before or have any ideas where to start to track down why im blowing gauge fuse as soon as i turn the key on ?

Thanks Brian

Hooptybass
12-28-2015, 07:14
Anyone have any ideas on where to start/look ? this is getting annoying not knowing what it is ...lol

Thanks Brian

rapidoxidationman
12-28-2015, 07:21
If you're blowing fuses then there's a short circuit somewhere.

What is downstream of the fuse? A subscription to AllData.com for the do-it-yourselfer will show you and then it is time to start tracing wires... an unenviable job, to be sure, but you doing it is going to hurt your wallet way less than bringing it to the shop.

Quit throwing fuses at it. Each time you burn one out it cooks whatever is shorted a little bit more. Find what is downstream of the fuse and disconnect each component then connect them one by one until you find one that the fuse can't feed. There's your problem.

A mouse nest under my fuse box took out my glow plug indicator and my air conditioning low pressure switch wire last summer. That was a head scratcher until I noticed and paid attention to the bits of insulation in the fuse box.

Slippery Smitt
12-28-2015, 10:48
Not sure where all the power comes from to the gauges, but a faulty ignition switch does some weird things on gm's (not just diesels) built in that time frame.

Smitty

a5150nut
12-28-2015, 15:48
Or you can replace the fuse with something solid and wate to find the smoke. But you will create a lot more problems too.

Hooptybass
04-26-2016, 13:27
Its been a while but i have gotten some free time to work on this again . I did some checking and have power to the injector pump . but my fuel pump wasn't working . So i hot wired it and it spun up and the burb started . Now i just have to track down why the fuel pump is not working . any ideas ?

Thanks Brian

DmaxMaverick
04-26-2016, 14:11
I'd start with the ignition switch.

a5150nut
04-26-2016, 17:16
I'd start with the ignition switch.

Down on the lower end of the steering column. If not that the oil pressure switch in the back of the engine valley, behind the fuel filter.

Hooptybass
04-27-2016, 06:20
Thanks that gives me something to go on . Ill keep ya posted and thanks again for all your help