PDA

View Full Version : TDP Glossary

StephenA
07-30-2003, 20:17
Can anyone point me to a glossary or list of terms & definitions for TDP? As a newbie, as well as a novice, I read daily and with great interest many of the posts on this fabulous forum, stumbling at times with various terminology or abbreviations that are obviously well known to all but the uninitiated.
Terms like:
EGR (valve)
L56
CAT
MAP
SES (light)
FSD (cooler)
PMD (pump mounted driver)
pyrometer
PFD
IP (injection pump?)
DSG
T-stats
4L80E
XX
PCM
OHM
-To name a few...
While I may just be advertizing my stupidity, it occurred to me that if a glossary isn't to be found, and if there's enough interest, I might put together a list of all the terms & definitions with a little help from all you guys who are in the know, so to speak, which could be posted and added to for everyone on TDP. The newbies would find it helpful no doubt, and who knows, it could be useful in general. Comments?

patrick m.
07-30-2003, 21:00
any one that asks a question to gain knowledge is not stupid. we all started somewhere. I have learned a great deal in a short time. now for the acrynyms.
EGR- exhaust gas recirculation valve. used to lower combustion temps, which in turn, reduces production of NOx gasses(some states do not test for NOx from vehicle exhaust)
L56-production label code given to the "light duty" 6.5 diesel(this version uses an EGR valve for reduction of emissions, where as the L65 does not)
CAT-short for catalytic converter, an emission device used to "trap" or "catalyze" certain gasses produced from combustion.
MAP-manifold absolute pressure. measures pressure within the intake manifold. the on board computer uses the information provided by the MAP sensor to manage fuel delivery (in some cases many other sensors as well)
SES-service eng soon. this is the light that comes on when the on board computer has detected a fault within the managment system.
FSD-fuel solenoid driver, somewhat of a mystery. provides electronic signal for the operation of "electronically operated" pumps (94 and newer 6.5s
PMD- same as above
PYROMETER- fancy name for "temp guage"- for our purposes, method of measuring exhaust gas temps, which gives a good indication of cylinder temp. to avoid melt-down.
PFD- not familiar with this one
IP- injection pump. high pressure pump that feeds fuel to individual injectors
DSG- name of a company producing a "gear-drive" timeing set (instead of chain and gears)
T-stats-thermostats, a valve actuated the temp of the coolant, designed to control the minimum tempurature of the coolant
4L80E-term given to the electronically controlled 4-speep automatic most commonly found in our trucks
XX- no idea (roman numeral for "20"?)
PCM-powertrain control module. on board computer
OHM-not sure which context you are questioning, the most relavent would be- a term used to denote a unit measuring resistance, such as the electrical resistance of a circuit.
How, that? anyone feel free to correct my goofs.

whatnot
07-30-2003, 23:22
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004103#000000

StephenA
07-31-2003, 07:51
Thanks so much Patrick m & whatnot - great definitions! I'm compiling them at the bottom of this post, along with the following email which I sent to Jim (turbo@thedieselpage.com) who proccessed my sign up:

"Hi Jim,
Last night I started a thread on TDP Glossary. I got some great answers, which included one earlier thread this year. If I keep this thread going long enough to get a comprehensive list, how would the powers that be at TDP feel about reviewing and posting the finished glossary as a link on the home & forum pages? Then anyone who wanted to could easily refer or add to it and it could grow in quality & quantity each year? Just a thought...
Regards,
Stephen Ambrose" (not the dead WWII writer...)

TDP Glossary Compilation - a work in progress:

EGR- exhaust gas recirculation valve. used to lower combustion temps, which in turn, reduces production of NOx gasses(some states do not test for NOx from vehicle exhaust)
L56-production label code given to the "light duty" 6.5 diesel(this version uses an EGR valve for reduction of emissions, where as the L65 does not)
CAT-short for catalytic converter, an emission device used to "trap" or "catalyze" certain gasses produced from combustion.
MAP-manifold absolute pressure. measures pressure within the intake manifold. the on board computer uses the information provided by the MAP sensor to manage fuel delivery (in some cases many other sensors as well)
SES-service eng soon. this is the light that comes on when the on board computer has detected a fault within the managment system.
FSD-fuel solenoid driver, somewhat of a mystery. provides electronic signal for the operation of "electronically operated" pumps (94 and newer 6.5s
PMD- same as above
PYROMETER- fancy name for "temp guage"- for our purposes, method of measuring exhaust gas temps, which gives a good indication of cylinder temp. to avoid melt-down.
PFD- not familiar with this one
IP- injection pump. high pressure pump that feeds fuel to individual injectors
DSG- name of a company producing a "gear-drive" timeing set (instead of chain and gears)
T-stats-thermostats, a valve actuated the temp of the coolant, designed to control the minimum tempurature of the coolant
4L80E-term given to the electronically controlled 4-speep automatic most commonly found in our trucks
XX- no idea (roman numeral for "20"?)
PCM-powertrain control module. on board computer
OHM-not sure which context you are questioning, the most relavent would be- a term used to denote a unit measuring resistance, such as the electrical resistance of a circuit.

ABS - Anti-lock Braking System
AKA - Also Known As
APP - Accelerator Pedal Position
C/K - C=2 wheel drive, K=4 wheel drive (ie. C1500 = 2wd 1/2 ton)
CKP - Crankshaft Position Sensor
COB- Coolant Overflow Bottle
D/A - Duramax/Allison
ECM - Engine Control Module
ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature
EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection
EGT- Exhaust Gas Temperature
ESO - Electronic fuel Shut-Off solenoid
FICM - Fuel Injection Control Module
FSD - Fuel Solenoid Driver (aka PMD)
HPCA - Housing Pressure Cold Advance
IAT - Intake Air Temperature
IFS - Independent Front Suspension
MFI - Mechanical Fuel Injection
PCM - Powertrain Control Module
PMD - Pump Mounted Driver (aka FSD)
SPF- Stanadyne Performance Formula fuel treatment
TCM - Transmission Control Module
TPS- Throttle Position Switch
TDP- "The Diesel Page"
MP - More Power

OPS - oil pressure switch
AR - All Right!
IMHO - in my humble opinion, seems to be quite
popular as well
IIm... I never did get that one
DAMHIK: "don't ask me how I know"
TAOY - Thanks All Of You
BFH a large impact device (Big F'n Hammer)
YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary
TTFN=Ta Ta For Now
TMI=Too Much Information

www.acronymfinder.com (http://www.acronymfinder.com) -bookmark this site -
it is a great tool for looking up acronyms. some times doesn't have our product specific acro's

I'll bet there's a ton more. So many of these are humorous as well. Thanks guys! - StephenA

rjschoolcraft
07-31-2003, 09:01
Patrick, good job.

"IP" can also mean "Instrument Panel", so look at context.

"OHM" can also mean "Overhaul manual".

I've asked lots of these questions too! The one I couldn't figure out was "IIRC" - "If I Recall Correctly". Cool, huh? :cool:

StephenA
07-31-2003, 10:17
Hi ronniejoe- yes Patrick really did a nice job kicking us off with some nice concise definitions. I'll add your items-

"IP" can also mean "Instrument Panel", so look at context.
"OHM" can also mean "Overhaul manual".
"IIRC" - "If I Recall Correctly". Cool, huh?

-to the list. Hopefully Jim or TPTB (the powers that be) will approve of all this & we can have a glossary link on the webpages.
BTW (by the way) my wife's maiden name is Ohms and her great grandfather was the guy who made the electricity observation which became Ohms Law, which resulted in the unit we use to measure resistance. She's and audio engineer & helps me in the studio. Her maiden name may explain the occasional static I get- ha! ;)
-Stephen

StephenA
07-31-2003, 10:32
Good news!
Jim (turbo@thedieselpage.com) writes back:

"Hi Stephen,
Good job! Be good to see a glossary......
Let me know once you've exhausted your ideas,
Jim"

-So everyone, post all of your definitions of terms, abbreviations, acronyms, euphemisms, and what have you, and after we exhaust all our noodles, I'll alphebetize them and submit them to Jim for review so that they can be posted as a link on all TDP webpages for easy access. Perhaps we can include a submit button as well so new items can be added easily.
I'll be glad to to administer the additions & spell check, etc., & keep the list current and neat, if need be.
Thanks for your additions!
Stephen

moondoggie
07-31-2003, 10:54
Good Day!

StephenA: OTS (off the subject - [ONLY if it doesn't conflict with needed technical abbreviations]), My uncle on my mom's side was nearly required to bring a copy of his birh cert. to purchase a motorcycle. Yes, he wanted to buy a Harley Davidson, & that's his name (& his youngest son, my cousin).

Glossary link for abbreviations: Great idea - I 2nd.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

'82 6.2 1500 4X4 1/2T pickup, 4spd man w/ OD, bone stock, 335K+, "In Rust We Trust"
'89 6.2 4X4 1/2T pickup, bone stock, 145K+
'95 6.5TD 2500 4X4 heavy 3/4T pickup, Gear Vendors Aux. OD, 180K +
'95 6.5TD 1500 4X4 3/4T Suburban, Kennedy exhaust, 200K +

StephenA
07-31-2003, 15:21
Hi Brian
Harley - what a great name! - I hope they gave him a discount or free saddle bags for all the free advertising he's been giving them!! ;)
I'll add OTS (off the subject) to the list; it's a good one.
Thanks for the addition to the list.
Stephen

StephenA
08-02-2003, 21:20
TDP Glossary -Next Step:

Ok, I figure if I read all the posts I can in the next few days & weeks and copy down everything that might not be common knowledge (as I have been), I'll begin to gather the beginnings of our glossary... Then I can post this list for help on the definitions and then turn the edited version over to Jim for posting. Comments?

-gotta love this forum!
-Stephen

oldmansax
08-03-2003, 05:49
StephenA, this is a great idea!
"XX" in most other technical areas is used as a representative for any other number or letter. For example, If GM sent out a recall for all trucks with a VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of 1K50087506UV56-xxx, it would mean ALL vehicles whose VIN started with 1K50087506UV56, no matter what the last 3 letters or numbers were. Usually the X's are in the opposite case and/or italics, and can replace ANY letter or number.... & that's my 2 cents worth.

StephenA
08-03-2003, 06:59
Thanks oldmansax -nice to "meet" you!
The light dawns- of course that would be the use of xx, now that you mention it! We'll add your definition to the list!

Anybody got any more terms or definitions?