PDA

View Full Version : Where to put a bypass filter?

pgoldstein
09-07-2003, 07:26
I am wondering if some of you guys who have already added bypass filtration would let me in on the best place to get a pressure source. I have heard of guys using the cooler line, but what about the line that feeds the turbo? Any information would be helpfull.

LanduytG
09-07-2003, 07:36
Do you have a bypass system yet? If not get the Amsoil dual remote system because it is really easy to hook up. All you do is take the OEM filter off and replace it with the the adapter that comes with the system. You get your supply and return all in one place. Then mount the filters on the frame up by the rear of the motor. Will take about and hour to install.

If you are using a single filter system get the supply from the oil sending unit not the turbo supply line, you do not want to take a chance of shorting the turbo of oil. Then return it to the pand, valve cover or oil fill tube.

If I can find them I have pictures of how my dual remote is installed. With it you end up with about 12-16 inches of hose.

Greg

CareyWeber
09-08-2003, 07:16
pgoldstein,

Greg's system is bolt on and nice.

I did a Dr Lee By-pass oil filter in 2000, and I like it.

I taped in the block above the oil filter adapter IIRC the pipe plug in there is 3/8" NPT thread.

You can get the info on Dr Lee By-Pass oil filter setup in the back issues of "The Diesel Page"

If you do it yourself get hose rated to 300

pgoldstein
09-08-2003, 13:52
Thanks for the info guys.
With your bypass systems does your oil look like oil after a few hundred miles? Mine looks like espresso after about 10 seconds. I have tried some good oil filters such as the Mobil 1 synthetic and it didn't appear to help. Did it take your bypass systems a long time to clean up your engines?

Thanks,

CareyWeber
09-09-2003, 06:38
[quote]Originally posted by CareyWeber:
[b] pgoldstein,

Greg's system is bolt on and nice.

I did a Dr Lee By-pass oil filter in 2000, and I like it.

I tapped into the block (an existing port plugged with a pipe plug by GM) above the oil filter adapter IIRC the pipe plug in there is 3/8" NPT thread and takes a square socket to remove it (I ground drove a 3/8" extention to make one.

You can get the info on Dr Lee By-Pass oil filter setup in the back issues of "The Diesel Page"

If you do it yourself get hose rated to 300