PDA

View Full Version : Battery Choices For 2016

sholsten
01-02-2016, 18:06
I got into GM diesels back in 1994. That's 5.7L and later 6.2. I have always bought 1000 CCA batteries for my diesels. It seems they're going away. Hell, Wal-Mart has even done away with them. What are the best choices nowadays?

Dvldog8793
01-04-2016, 06:17
Howdy
I have two sets of Optima red top. They are expensive but I have had stellar results with them.
I have had good results with the carquest(not sure who makes these) brand AGM high output batteries. My son works there....:D
I also use a battery minder desulfier charger twice a year. Might be snake oil but it sure cant hurt....

rapidoxidationman
01-04-2016, 08:13
My '05 came to me (used about 6 years ago) with a pair of batteries from Batteries Plus (https://www.batteriesplus.com/) and I have yet to have ANY issue with them. The last couple of weeks have been here with -20 degree F mornings and my truck started without hesitation. I also put their batteries in my '85 300D about 3 years ago, and last summer bought one for my '06 Ducati ST3S. Best prices I've found and they've proven to be very good batteries.

sholsten
01-04-2016, 13:52
Thanks. Y'all gave me a couple more choices.

Dvldog8793
01-04-2016, 15:12
Just an FYI...you will be hard pressed to find an over the counter battery NOT(or owned) made by Johnson Controls. I think the only other makers are Exide and Delphi. There are some VERY small makers out there but they are drying up. With the lead issues in our country I would buy the best longest lasting batteries you can get.

trbankii
01-06-2016, 11:20
I picked up a pair of Duracell Procell batteries from Batteries Plus the other year. The specs on the ones I have are Group #78, SLI78M, 1020ca @ 32℉, and 850ca @ 0℉.

I rotate them each fall - driver’s side to passenger side and vice-versa - just to try to even out the wear on them due to the alternator charging the driver’s side and the starter pulling from the passenger side. I also put them on a battery charger every now and then to make sure they’re topped off - I don’t drive the truck more than a couple days a week.

Overall, I’m pleased with them.

Jgreemo
01-06-2016, 15:09
I got some Odyssey AGM batteries and while very expensive (~$300 each) they perform very well in cold weather. Didn't plug in on a 20 degree night and it started up just fine in the morning on battery alone.