PDA

View Full Version : help 5spd tran shift lever

catmandoo
11-04-2003, 19:13
need to change clutch and how do you get the shift lever off the trans it's 92 5spd got the boot off and there is a big nut towards the bottom of the lever but can't get it to move and there is 2 pins that come in from the sides on top of the trans but how ya get them out is beyond me anybody done this?

DogDiesel
11-05-2003, 04:11
catmando,

First, you do not have to move the pins. Once the boot is off, you will find a thin round metal sheild over the shift ball, fitting around the shifter. Firmly press it down, and turn it counter-clockwise and two hooks on each side of this thin metal sheild will unseat. Successfully done, then just lift off the entire shift lever assembly. Installation is the reverse; but harder, it seemed to me.
Worstcase scenario, go buy a new thin sheild and destroy the old one getting it off, as assuredly moments of frustration will find you.
Wayne

"need to change clutch and how do you get the shift lever off the trans it's 92 5spd got the boot off and there is a big nut towards the bottom of the lever but can't get it to move and there is 2 pins that come in from the sides on top of the trans but how ya get them out is beyond me anybody done this?"

catmandoo
11-05-2003, 05:10
well i wouldn't have thought it comes apart that way but i'll give it a try shortly .coming home last night went to push clutch and it was rock hard, needed about 3 times the effort to push down,had to drive 80 miles and blow 5stop signs to get home.thanks for info let ya know how it goes,funny you mention that little cover over the shift ball it is kinda chewed up and i did have my thought about it i used to work in a shop with my dad and the *** cars used things like that alot.