PDA

View Full Version : 98 motor in a 95 truck

Rpfan
01-12-2016, 21:56
Hi all. Semi new to the 6.5 world. I have a 95 3500 dually with a bad 6.5
I also have a 98 with an awesome motor. What all is there to put the 98 motor in the 95 thrck

DmaxMaverick
01-12-2016, 23:40
Welcome aboard!

The long block is a direct swap. Nothing more to add here, really. I would recommend upgrading to the later HD cooling system. Dual thermostats, HO water pump, and such. The fuel systems are interchangeable.

john8662
01-13-2016, 13:11
Strip it to a long block like Dmax recommends. I wish everyone that wanted to swap between years would just realize that, use the original components from the destination vehicle, not the source vehicle.

The only thing when you swap to a long-block that you'll find difficulty with is the oil cooler lines. The 95 will have 3/8" NPT threads in the block, the 98 will have 1/2" NPT. Use a Steel (not Cast Iron) bushing, or upgrade to stainless steel oil cooler line setup like some of the vendors sell, works either way.

Rpfan
01-23-2016, 21:43
Motor is in the frame. Going to use all the original 98 oil cooler
Have to swap out everything on the front of the motor due to alt. location and 95 does not have a/c
I am using the 95 harness and what ever components the 95 uses
Replacing all brake and transmission lines.
Frame has been cleaned and painted. Firewall is painted black
One cab corner has been replaced and 2 new doors have been painted black
Can will be painted this week and reinstalled on frame
Then I need to get the nose painted and assembled.
Thanks to all who helped make this swap easier!!

hoarder
01-24-2016, 20:34
Welcome aboard!

The long block is a direct swap. Nothing more to add here, really. I would recommend upgrading to the later HD cooling system. Dual thermostats, HO water pump, and such. The fuel systems are interchangeable.

You are correct about the consideration of upgrading the HD cooling system for it can really help maintain the normal temp of the engine even on high rpm which could really save the engine from over heating.

Rpfan
02-11-2016, 08:36
This motor has the dual thermostats and better water pump. Bled the fuel lines and it started right up! Runs great! No shakes or miss.
This will be nice lil dually once I finish building the bed for it
Thanks again to those who posted!