PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 non turbo to 6.5 turbo questions

gattlin
01-16-2016, 10:49
hi i am new to chevys as well as diesels and i have a some questions. i have a early 90's chevy 6.5 turbo diesel that was ran low on oil and sounds like a rod is knocking, i have a buddy that bought a bunch of mid to late 80's military 6.2 and 6.5 non turbo engines that i can get for very cheap. my main question is what would be the best way to get my work truck back on the road? what is needed to to convert one of the non turbo 6.5? would swaping the whole motor over be easier, or taking motor apart and swapping the shortblock? this doesnt need to be a hot rod, just a good work truck

thanks

trbankii
01-17-2016, 10:08
Easiest would be to swap longblocks and use all the components from your existing engine on the replacement.

Dvldog8793
01-17-2016, 12:07
Howdy
If you get the chance to pick through the engines....try to find one that shows evidence of the head gaskets being replaced. We did an update in the Marines when we started seeing problems. Updated head gaskets, new bolts and water pump was part of the program.
As said....replace the long block, keep all components in the truck.
Also....replace the harmonic balancer and crank pulley if the rubber looks at all rotted.
Good luck!

gattlin
01-17-2016, 18:58
so there wasnt a difference in heads between non turbo and turbo engines?

a5150nut
01-18-2016, 20:51
I believe the non turbo has small pre cups and turbo has the larger pre cups

Byron712
09-24-2016, 14:35
Hello every one don't mean to be a jerk and steal the post not sure where to post a question, i have spent hrs searching for an idea of what my issue is, i own a 1995 p30 step van, has sat for a while, i run it once in a while let it come up to temp and then it sits a gain, now that im ready to use it i have problems, 1st its hard to start i use a little starter fluid and takes of, i suspected the battery's where weak, it use to crank and then finally start, now it will crank for maybe 20 sec and then nothing but i still have dash lights, i suspected the battery s where old, i replaced them with new, again it cranks for 20 sec after that it will not crank i still have lights and all but bill not crank not sure what to look at i have fully charged battery's lights and all but it will not crank, any help would be appreciated thank you.