PDA

View Full Version : Help understanding how to flush with Cascade? Is there a better way? Please chime in.

JKlein
02-16-2016, 13:02
I need some help please. I have a 96 GMC K3500 that has about 201K miles on it. I am about to do several upgrades (cooling, exhaust) as well as maintenance for that millage (injectors, glow plugs, hoses, belt, balancer & balancer pulley, vacuum pump etc.…). I would also like to upgrade my battery cables and I have a new starter to put on as the old one has died.

What I need help with is that I would like to run a good flush of the entire coolant system before I start the teardown and rebuild. I had read several posts about using Cascade dishwasher detergent and distilled water.

Basically, as I understand it, you remove your thermostat then drain the system of coolant. Next you would follow proper fill procedures, however, you fill with the Cascade and the water.

Then run it until it comes up to operating temp with the heater on full blast. I assume you cool it down a bit then drain. From what I read you would then run just the distilled water for at least two or three more cycles of draining and running then draining and running up to temp. Finally draining and then it is ready for the coolant @ 50/50.

In my case I would then pull the truck back into the shop and get ready to start the teardown and rebuild. When I get ready to fill I would use 50/50 Distilled water and a quality name brand green antifreeze with perhaps some water wetter added to help cooling.

I do plan on pulling the radiator when working on the truck and cleaning between the fins real good as well as I can get it. I will be using all new radiator to engine hoses as well as the bypass hose on the water pump will be new also. Plus the hose from the lower radiator hose to the overflow tank.

So can someone please tell me if I am on the right track for this type of cleaning process?

If so how much Cascade do you put in and how long do I let the truck run for each of the flushing cycles?

Also if you know a better way or a modified way please chime in.

And as for replacing hoses should I replace any others like the heater core to engine hoses?

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you and GOD BLESS!

John

More Power
02-16-2016, 14:45
First, I'd find out who in your area will help with the disposal of the coolant/mix.

Then, I'd drain the system. Flush with a garden hose, then refill with a 50/50 mix.

I wouldn't use a solution of any kind to clean the system. This can create problems where none exist.

Back quite a few years ago we did a story about installing a gear drive timing set in a 250,000 mile 6.5. Part of the installation required draining the coolant, so the owner thought it would be a good time to pull the radiator and have it inspected. As it turned out there was about 4-5" of sediment in the bottom of each radiator end-tank.

Now, this engine had been using the green coolant, which isn't a long-life coolant and may have been more likely to produce sediment. I don't know...

JKlein
02-16-2016, 21:11
I do have a line on my local parts store that will take the old antifreeze as long as I put it in old antifreeze jugs - which I have plenty of.

Thanks for the food for thought and the story about the other truck.

~GOD BLESS~

john

trbankii
02-17-2016, 04:58
I have heard of using Cascade - or other concoctions - to remove the sludge from DexCool. Are you looking at an actual problem? Or just figuring you want to start with a clean slate?

Kennedy
02-17-2016, 08:10
What MP said. Flush with a garden hose paying particular attention to the heater core in both directions. The other thing I might do is fill with distilled and run for a while then drain and refill with the 50/50 just to eliminate as much mineral as possible. In a perfect world if you had reverse osmosis water that would be what I would flush with.

Dex cool in the diesels does not tend to build sludge because the systems are sealed well and circulate well.

Robyn
02-17-2016, 10:04
I have seen the cascade stuff used when the cooling system is contiminated with oil or fuel.

This breaks it down and allows it to flush out.

WE did that on my 500 Cat a few years ago when it lost some O rings on an injector, allowing fuel and green to mix.

Not sure if the cascade is going to do much with the minerals.

Myself I would flush with the garden hose until nothing but clear water comes from the outflow.

The best plan is to drain the block out dry, buttttttt, the drain plugs are not easy to get to, and may be really tough to get out.

With the water pump off you can snake a suck bulb (Turkey baster) in the ports up front and suck a lot out of the block.

Unless you have really good water (no minerals and crap) use the premixed 50/50 coolant.

Myself I had some nasty times with the red stuff, and would never use it EVER AGAIN

Top Quality green long life is fine.

After COUPLE YEARS you can test the coolant to be sure it is not getting bad.

If the stuff turns cloudy or brown murky it needs changing for sure.

I would not waste my $$$$$ on distilled water.

Flush good, clear the system (including heater core/s ) the refill.

Flush the radiator with the core upside down and on it's side to try and dislodge and silt thats at the bottom.

A radiator with lotsa miles in a 6.5 truck is likely going to be clogged in the lower levels of tubes.
JUST REPLACE IT
A new OEM quality unit is not that expensive

STAY AWAY from any that have epoxied cores.
Use only an aluminum brazed core radiator (OEM)

Visteon is a good one.

The cooling system on a 6.5 truck is marginal at best when new, and after some serious miles they are sorely lacking.

If you are planning on a high flow pump and dual stat xover, then by all means spring for a new radiator.

Don't forget the lower temp fan clutch setup too.

180 F stats and the good fan clutch and the little six and a half will be a very happy camper.

Good to go

trbankii
02-17-2016, 10:05
To clarify, my comment about DexCool sludge was in reference to (mistakenly) mixing products and causing issues.

Robyn
02-17-2016, 14:33
Yeah buddy

Dump in some standard green even in an emergency, and the stuff turns the stuff to JELLO

Nasty stuff

JKlein
02-17-2016, 19:27
I am simply looking to start with a "clean slate" and thought the flush with the cascade would be a good idea.

At this point I do not have any problems and the truck had green antifreeze in it when I got ahold of it - so I don't know the history of what antifreeze has been in it etc...

I do not want to create any problems for myself, however, I do want a good starting point for the install of my Kennedy dual stat/water pump/fan clutch set up etc... and te new hoses...

~GOD BLESS~

john

JKlein
02-17-2016, 19:33
I just looked at RockAuto and the radiators listed there ranged from $120 - $240. I did not know they were that inexpensive.

What is a good place for a replacement radiator? I have a 5 speed truck so no need for a tranny cooler...

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

~GOD BLESS~

john