PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter Change #16

EdHale
02-18-2016, 03:43
It was time to change my fuel filter and I was 40 miles from the nearest dealer. Note the water sensor/drain. The little blue wire broke off during removal of the filter. Fortunately the nearest dealer had one in stock and a ranger with the COE was coming my way later the same day. He brought it to me and I was back in business. This little wire just snapped off from fatigue I suppose over 10 years in service and living through 16 filter changes or it almost lived through #16.

Kennedy
02-19-2016, 10:00
We've been deleting those sensors for quite some time now. I don't know of anyone that has ever even caught ANY water in theirs let alone enough to set off the light.

DickWells
02-19-2016, 12:24
I've never found a drop of water in any of my filters, OEM, or in my FASS system. Always wondered if it might be because I treat every fill-up with an additive.

rapidoxidationman
02-19-2016, 19:32
+1 on not bothering to fix the WIF sensor wire. Mine has never been connected (got the truck with 130K on it) and have never had any sign of water in the fuel anyway. If enough water DID get in to trigger the sensor, I'm guessing that the truck's performance would make it obvious.

+1 on fuel additive, every fill-up.

EdHale
02-20-2016, 04:29
We've been deleting those sensors for quite some time now. I don't know of anyone that has ever even caught ANY water in theirs let alone enough to set off the light.

I have never found a drop of water in any of mine either, but I just hate to change anything.

Anyway, it has always had Baldwin filters in it John that I get from you and all is back to normal now.

EdHale
02-20-2016, 04:31
I've never found a drop of water in any of my filters, OEM, or in my FASS system. Always wondered if it might be because I treat every fill-up with an additive.

I have wondered the same thing myself Dick. FPPF in every tank since new. It isn't that expensive and if it does help....so much the better. I feel better and that makes it worth it to me.

jbplock
02-20-2016, 07:59
I've also newer seen any water when changing the filter.. Probably the only time the WIF sensor would trip is with a bad load of fuel. Several years ago after reading some folks were having problems with the sensor wire breaking I added a strain relief with some epoxy - the type that comes in a stick (http://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-putty-sticks). :)

EdHale
02-22-2016, 04:01
I've also newer seen any water when changing the filter.. Probably the only time the WIF sensor would trip is with a bad load of fuel. Several years ago after reading some folks were having problems with the sensor wire breaking I added a strain relief with some epoxy - the type that comes in a stick (http://www.jbweld.com/collections/epoxy-putty-sticks). :)

I will do the same thing at my next filter change. I would have done it this time, but I needed the truck "right now" after getting the new sensor.

SoTxPollock
03-07-2016, 15:10
14 years of changing filters and I have not drained a drop of water either. I don't use small out of the way, I wonder if anyone knows this fuel place is way back here type of stations. That probably helps. Fuel quality is soo much better now than it used to be from east coast to west coast anyway. Canada is good, and I don't venture into Mexico at all anymore.