PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline with a bit of diesel.

DieselAddict
02-18-2016, 21:32
Hello. I know this is off the 6.5 topic. But I just purchased 2. 45 gallon drums of gasoline for my boat. (Brand new 150 hp four stroke) and there was a bit of diesel left in the barrels. I had white creamy stuff on the bottom. But decided to fill em anyway. I had nowhere to dispose of this waste while sitting there at the pump. I just went to check my fuel and the white stuff was sittin at the bottom. But I'm worried that my gasoline is contaminated with diesel. And will damage my new outboard. So the question is.

Is there enough gasoline to dilute and overcome the diesel that was left in the barrel. I would hate to damage my engine. And see 2 barrels of gasoline that I cannot use just be disposed of.

If I can get some info on this. That'll be great. Thanks.

D.A.

Robyn
02-19-2016, 08:00
How much diesel ???

A few gallons will do no harm, just add a bit of oil is all.

DmaxMaverick
02-19-2016, 11:07
"White creamy stuff" that settles at the bottom is not Diesel, or any petroleum distillate product. It's water. A little Diesel residue in gasoline won't hurt anything, and will just emulsify into the gas (you'd never know it's there). The water, however, leave it settled at the bottom and pull the gas off the top immediately, before the ethanol absorbs it (only aviation and true racing gas has no ethanol these days). Once it is pulled off, treat it with a good stabilizer (Sta-Bil, etc.) if it's going to be stored for more than a month. A high quality filter used during pumping, and on the boat fuel system is highly recommended (in any case).

More Power
02-19-2016, 13:23
Quite a few gas stations here in Montana offer premium gas that is ethanol free. Could be mistaken, but I thought non-blended premium gas was a national compromise for the motor sports and marine industry with regards to fuel system damage due to alcohol.

Robyn
02-20-2016, 08:19
The Smart car requires premium (min 91 octane) for best performance and mileage, so I always buy Premium and about 99.9% of the time I get it at the Pacific pride cardlock.

The Premium is marked "non ethanol"

We use that for all the small engines around here too, such as the Weed whackers, chain saws etc to avoid the havoc that the alcohol causes with the plastic and synthetic fuel system parts.

Check with the dealer and make sure about their premium fuel.

Alcohol is just another additive in the gas that for the most part we don't need.

If the fuel has alky in it, never leave the fuel system on the small engines wet, run them dry.

Not sure about your boat stuff, but the non alky premium can't hurt.

If the fuel has alky it has to be labeled, or it should be, and the non alky premium is generally marked as such.

Not a bad idea to get the "White stuff" out of the barrels either.

Just a FWIW

Back when we bought the Smart car, there was never any particular discussion about fuels, so I just pulled up to the pump I have used for years at the local cardlock, and filled the rig.

Over the several tanks of fuel the mileage was not up to my expectations and so I did some checking and discovered that the wee little car was supposed to be fed premium.

Filled the tank with the non alky premium and the mileage consistently runs about 4+ mpg better than the standard grade fuel.

Some stations out on the road (if I can't find a pride) will have blended premium and it seems fine with the same mpg.

Maybe some 100/130 avgas would make it smile. (probably foul its cat real quick)

DmaxMaverick
02-20-2016, 10:39
It depends on what the definition of is, is....

They all contain alcohol. Some gubmint official determines what actual % of it is actually considered "contains". Pumps that state "contains ethanol", actually mean the fuel contains 5-15%. Less than 5% is considered not containing ethanol. And, they don't test it with any regularity, unless they are certifying minimal content mandated by state/federal regulation.