PDA

View Full Version : Help needed finding the best replacement radiator please.

JKlein
03-04-2016, 08:28
I am rebuilding my cooling system on my 6.5 with new radiator hoses, the Kennedy dual stat kit with new pump, 9 blade metal fan, new clutch and 2 AC Delco 190 stats, now for my question.

What is the best replacement radiator for this truck for daily driving and an occasional tow?

It does have a service bed on it that weighs more than a standard bed. I currently am driving without my compressor, generator, and welder mounted on the bed to save weight. I have about half the tools I used to carry in the boxes.

In a post below where I asked about flushing the system with Cascade to prep it for the install of the Kennedy kit I was told that for a 96 year model I should just buy a new radiator. But to get one that “…Use only an aluminum brazed core radiator (OEM)”

They also said to buy a “Visteon”

I have googled the name Visteon and do not get any results???

I have found AC Delco brand radiators at RockAuto and a plethora of radiators on eBay.

So where should I go to find a Visteon? Or is the AC Delco @ RockAuto a good radiator?

My truck is a manual – so should I try to find a radiator for manual trannys that does not have the transmission oil cooling fittings?

As always I appreciate any help – tips and suggestions are appreciated.

~GOD BLESS~

john

Robyn
03-04-2016, 08:53
I bought mine through Mac's Radiator here locally.

IIRC Visteon made the OEM units

The most important part is to avoid any unit that has an epoxied core.

(Tubes are expoxied into the head plates)
These crack and leak and there is no fix

JKlein
03-04-2016, 10:17
So avoid expoxied core - I assumen that when I call most places over the net they will not know the answer to that question. They might....

Better to find someone locally or to see if Macs will sell & ship. Do you happen to have their contact info or atleast their city 7 state they are in?

Mind if I asked what you paid for it?

Thank you,

~GOD BLESS~

john

Robyn
03-04-2016, 10:49
Mac's Automotive & Radiator Repair
6147 SE Foster Rd
(503) 777-4706
Open until 5:30 PM

JKlein
03-04-2016, 11:11
I called OSC technical line and spoke to a gentleman who explained the expoxy process that is used by the low dollar places and how they use, at OSC, the OEM style brazing fluid.

When placed in the oven the brazing fluid travles and actually acts as though the parts were " brazed " together etc... (I am not very familiar with plastic tank radiators myself) he did a great job of explaining the difference between the two processes.

He did a better job of explaining it then I did of explaining it here. Regardless it sounds like they DO NOT expoxy thier radiators.

I will call your shop as well to see what they can do.

FYI the OSC was available locally for $184.28 plus tax. I am looking to spend $250 or less - but not so cheap as to buy a poorly made radiator mind you.

Thank you!

~GOD BLESS~

john

Robyn
03-04-2016, 11:31
The guy you spoke with laid it out right on the mark.

The plastic tankers are not my fave, but they do seem to be ok

JKlein
03-07-2016, 09:44
I did feel lik the tech @ OSC was speaking the truth. I'll most likely go with an OSC radiator. I can get one locally or risk shipping it and possible daqmage during shipping.

Might be worth the few extra busks to buy it locally huh?

Thanks for the help - I'll still call Macs as well.

~GOD BLESS~

john