PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye

tdog
03-14-2016, 17:50
Hi, diesel lovers. I have decided that it's time to say goodbye to my 6.5l. It doesn't really have any major problems that I'm aware of, but there are some issues that are starting to appear. It's a '92, so that shouldn't be totally unexpected.

When I bought the truck my original intention was to save up some cash and rebuild and restore it. I love the make and model of these trucks, so I was going to learn how to work on them and make one into my camping vehicle. But, alas, I'm parting with that goal.

The reason I've come here is that I'd like to offer it to the people that appreciate it and have the capacity to keep it alive. I know very little about engine maintenance and, though I originally planned on learning, I simply do not have the time nor the drive (excuse the pun) to accomplish that goal. I have too many other ongoing projects to pursue this one.

So, without further adieu:

1992 blue Chevy Silverado C2500 6.5l turbo diesel V8

Known issues:

Oil pressure gauge -- Recently dropped quite low. I'm not sure if this is a gauge/sensor problem or if the oil pressure really is low. I've been trying not to drive the truck much since this happened and it doesn't really sound any different, but I've heard the warnings about running an engine with any kind of pressure problem, especially in the oiling system. I'm planning on taking the truck to a shop within the next few days to get a mechanical gauge hooked up for pressure confirmation, and I'll update as more info becomes available.

Starting when hot -- if you have been driving for a while and shut the engine off for a bit, it doesn't like to start back up until it's cooled off. It'll start up if it's been sitting for a few minutes and it'll start right up after 30+ minutes, but has trouble with the in-between time of 10-30 minutes. Hasn't been an issue since I replaced the batteries, but I think it's still there. I've just gotten better at knowing when to start it. I believe it will need a new fuel injector pump, as this is the typical answer to the common problem.

Steering wheel play -- not horrible, but definitely not ideal.

Radiator leakage -- small hole in the upper part of the radiator. Makes visible steam and requires topping off the liquid levels every week or so.

Power steering leak -- Slowly over time. I top it off every couple months.

No radio/CD player -- took it out because it was hooked up poorly. Very easy to hook back up, but I never bothered with it because I really don't care to listen to music that much when I'm driving.

Upholstery blemishes -- Hard plastic dash is cracked in several places, there is a hole worn in the driver's side of the seat and the fabric has some slight drooping from the ceiling.

trip odometer doesn't work.

Driver's side taillight needs some work. When you push in on the brakes the lights go off on the driver's side tail lights. The bulbs aren't bad though because they are lit up when not pressing the brakes, though slightly dimmer than the passenger side.

Pin hole wear spot on the driver's side floor pan. It's a very isolated hole and does not really have any rust surrounding it, so I was just going to pop rivet a patch over it and cover with some rust-proofing putty. Never got around to it though.

I'll probably think of a few other issues later, but for now, this is all I've got.

pm if interested.

Thanks!

trbankii
03-15-2016, 04:13
It would help to provide a location and price.

tdog
03-15-2016, 13:46
It would help to provide a location and price.

Right... I meant to do that yesterday, but never got a chance to.

Peoria, Il.

Price is negotiable. I'll start the bidding at $2,500.

Also, 252,xxx mi. No major body rust. Some small patches of surface rust, mainly on the hood. Undercarriage is also in pretty good shape.