PDA

View Full Version : Banks trans temp gauge,,

94GMC2500
03-22-2016, 20:43
My truck has a Banks trans temp gauge but I don't see a sender anyplace on the trans. Can I buy just the sender someplace? Or do I have to get one from Banks?

svcattle
03-24-2016, 22:01
My truck has a Banks trans temp gauge but I don't see a sender anyplace on the trans. Can I buy just the sender someplace? Or do I have to get one from Banks?

Nobody ?? Since it's an auto have you checked the pan for a sender could also be on a line

Dvldog8793
03-25-2016, 04:16
the typical way for a banks sender was a "T" in the line that was going to the cooler.
It would have one wire coming from it.
The better way of doing it is to put the sender in the pan. Then you get the chance to change the fluid and filter as well!
If you don't have it, I would get the install kit from banks. Jegs might have it also. I have done a few of them and if I remember right:rolleyes: the kit was not expensive.

Robyn
03-26-2016, 09:14
Changing the fluid and the filter is a great idea.

I prefer to place the sender in the line coming off the tranny that's heading to the cooler.

This gives you nearly real time data as to what is happening.

The fluid in the pan is diluted by the return fluid from the cooler.
The pan temperature is not nearly as important as the temp of the fluid thats coming out of the converter.

This is true because once the temp of the fluid gets above 250 F and beyond the oils properties start breaking down.

Get up to 300 F and this happens real fast.

Literally cooking things.
Even very short ventures above 200 F starts the degradation process of the oil, and when the oil starts going away it's additives package goes south too.

The clutches in many cases are actually a paper product (lining) and the oil soaks these parts.
The oil also has friction modifiers and such that allows the clutches to work better, and once the oil starts turning to a burnt slop so goes the rest of the tranny.

Granted, the fluid temp in the pan is what the clutches, seals and other components see but the real deal is being able to deal with the temperature real time and get your boot off the thing or drop a gear.

If you really want to know whats up, a pair of gauges with one reading the temp coming out of the converter and the other reading the pan temp.

Or one gauge on the feed line and one on the return line.

When the oil temp exceeds 250 F anywhere you are reducing the tranny life, and fast.

If you tow heavy and in hot weather don't run the fluid through the radiator as this just adds a huge amount of heat to an already sketchy cooling system.

Here is a link to a nice chart that gives some good data.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjM9fSN397LAhVCy2MKHa9SBmQQFggqMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.txchange.com%2Fheatchrt.htm&usg=AFQjCNHFQeos3qyzaD-6vrpNRj8JJq-NUg&sig2=qyu5jrUVuYA_wEVs_Z5I0Q