PDA

View Full Version : Diesel fuel/oil additives???

AKUSCHKA
03-29-2016, 14:04
HELLO, THIS IS MY FIRST POST ON THE DIESEL PAGE SO DON`T BEAT ME UP TOO MUCH IF I`M BEING REPETITIVE. I JUST PURCHASED A CHEVY TRUCK WITH A 6.2 LITER WITH A LITTLE OVER ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES ON IT WHAT TYPE OF ADDITIVES SHOULD I BE USING IN THE FUEL , AND IS THE USE OF HOWES LUBRCATOR DIESEL TREATMENT OK, I GOT IT WITH THE TRUCK AND THE WEATHER IS JUST STARTING TO CHANGE, I LIVE IN MA. AND I NEVER HAD TO MIX FUEL BEFORE EXCEPT IN SNOWMOBILES FOR THE TWO STROKES!
ALSO DO ANY OF YOU GUYS USE THE LUCAS OIL STABILIZER IN YOU DIESELS FOR OIL BLOW BY CONTROL??? ANY FEEDBACK WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!! :D:o

trbankii
03-29-2016, 14:37
No need to yell (all caps)… ;)

This thread is typical of such discussions here: LINK (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=13627)

Most of the people tend to use the Stanadyne Performance Formula, Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost, or FPPF Total Power. There are others out there. Then there are those using various “snake oils” they’ll swear by.

The main issue is to add lubricity to protect fuel pumps and injectors in the older systems from increased wear caused by Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel (ULSD) fuel.

Personally, I add a dose of the Power Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost to every tank.

Dvldog8793
03-30-2016, 05:10
Howdy
IMHO...
In my trucks, I use Power service white bottle plus a 1/2 quart of the cheapest 2 stroke motor oil I can get. Seems to work good and I have never had an issue with gelling and have had very good longevity with my pumps.
In our VW we run stanodyne blue.
I typically don't run any oil additive, If I am going to work the truck hard and it is low, I might add some STP or the lucas product.
Using a thickener to "control blowby" is not really controlling it but just masking it. Blow by is normally caused by mechanical wear or some other serious problem that needs to be fixed.
Good luck!