PDA

View Full Version : 2003 no compression in 2 cylinders

JeepSJ
04-09-2016, 12:03
No much else known. I do know it has 120K miles. A neighbor of my dad has it for sale. Pulled from his truck when the cylinders died. Never had it diagnosed - he just replaced it with a complete unit. This has all accessories, wiring harness, ecu. Asking $1500 for it. Not sure if I want to take a change. What is possibility of just a head gasket vs something more evil?

Kennedy
04-11-2016, 08:18
No compression could mean broken/cracked piston bent pushrods/valves, or even a missing piston, but not likely a head gasket.

The Dmax is a very durable and very reliable engine, BUT if you run with bad injectors for long enough or over rev on an ether start things can get ugly fast.

More Power
04-11-2016, 10:05
No much else known. I do know it has 120K miles. A neighbor of my dad has it for sale. Pulled from his truck when the cylinders died. Never had it diagnosed - he just replaced it with a complete unit. This has all accessories, wiring harness, ecu. Asking $1500 for it. Not sure if I want to take a change. What is possibility of just a head gasket vs something more evil?

Are the cylinders adjacent to one another? A head gasket failure between two adjacent cylinders will lead to no compression in those two cylinders.

Otherwise, $1500 sounds like a good deal for all the parts included....

JeepSJ
04-13-2016, 09:36
Thanks guys. Is there an easy way to inspect the cylinders? Like pulling a spark plug on a gasser and sticking in a probe? I don't know the DMax well enough to know if I can pull an injector and see into the cylinder.