PDA

View Full Version : How to clean bugs from radiator/condenser

sturgeon-phish
08-02-2003, 10:18
Several posts speak of cleaning the bugs from between the radiator and condenser to maintain air flow. Could someone give me a step by step on how to access to clean the space between the rad and condenser? A JK clutch is in the future, but for now cleaning will have to do. Thanks

HowieE
08-02-2003, 11:57
You are in luck. I just finished my site that includes this problem. Take a look at http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/
If you have any question after that my e mail address is at the bottom of the first page.

sturgeon-phish
08-03-2003, 07:55
Great pictures! Real proof for cleaning. What I was looking for was, an "idiot proof" directions ( i.e. remove grill, 4 screws along top etc. I hope someone doesn't mind getting wordy with a description. Thanks for the reply.
Jim

HowieE
08-03-2003, 12:43
To remove the grill there are 5 screws across the top and one about 3 in. down in the center of the grill itself. Remove both parking light assemblies. Behind each parking lights along the lower edge there is a plastic tab on the grill that attaches to the body. Depress this tab and pull the grill out at each side. There is another tab in the center of the grill that can be reached if you pull the grill out just a little and slide your hand down to release this tab. The grill is now free enough that you can remove the marker lights at each end.
Remove the 7 bolts that hold the top of the radiator shroud. You will need a long extension to reach 4 of them as they are half way down the shroud bolted to the lower half, the other 3 are along the top. If you have a 4x4 you will find the front differential vent attached to the drivers side of the shroud with a plastic clip and the second battery cable secured along the top of the shroud. Lift out the shroud.
The radiator is held in place at the top by 2 brackets, one on each end, with 1 remaining bolt in each. Remove the brackets. You can now push the radiator back about 4 ins. at the top, just enough to get a wand between the radiator and the AC condenser.
If you truck has an engine oil cooler and or a trans cooler remove the top bolts that hold these cooler. Loosen the lower bolts to allow the coolers to be folded forward.
You are now in a position to start cleaning.
You will have to use a wand such as I have shown on my web site. It is the only way to direct the force of the water parallel to the fins in the coolers given the tight spacing your are working in. This is a 2-man project. One to control the gun and your 2 hands to control the wand because of the backpressure the wand generates.
It helps to spray the coolers with a strong cleaner and let them soak for a bit before starting the spraying. The bugs are bonded in place.Start with the oil coolers first. Since you are hitting such a small area with the spray at any given time you will have to work a very well directed pattern as you progress. I work a pattern across a cooler and then up and down across the same cooler several times and can still hit new pockets on the last pass. So the amount of cleaning is only governed by your time.
It may help to place something behind the oil coolers before attacking the AC condenser to prevent the bugs from the condenser being embedded into the back of the oil coolers you have just cleaned and so forth when you get back to the radiator.
While you have the radiator pushed back look in the lower, passanger side, corner. This is an area were large quanties of leaves will collect if you live in an area with leaves.

sturgeon-phish
08-03-2003, 13:57
Thank you, thank you. I believe I can do it with those instructions!

HammerWerf
02-11-2005, 16:46
I just started to clean the radiators on my trucks.

To loosen the bugs grip on the radiator fins, I used Spray and Wash right from the laundry room. Bugs bodies are mostly protein, and the enzymes in the soap disolves them very well. Took about 1/2hr wait before I rinsed the radiator. Rinse well.

HammerWerf

TCombs
02-14-2005, 08:53
Try this site http://www.thexton.com/, on page 2 of cooling system tools there is a condensor cleaner. I have this tool and it works great. all you do is hook it up to a garden hose.