PDA

View Full Version : newbie to diesels

extreemthottle
04-19-2016, 20:04
hey all,
looking at purchasing a 98 3500 diesel truck. im not sure yet if i will or not, but it would be used mainly to haul an enclosed trailer approx 5 to 6k lbs.
this would be my first diesel and have very little experience with them, though i am pretty mechanical, and work on a lot of 2 stroke motors and do my own maintenance on my current 1500 chevy with 4.8.

im going to ask the guy more questions tomorrow, but the price seems very reasonable for a vehicle with 140k miles on it. (asking price 4500)

i was hoping to get some insight on what to look for as potential issues and what to stay away from.
ive been told the guy just installed an injector pump, though i would be surprised if it was an aux mount style like what ive read about already. it has 6 new tires, alignment, and new front end bushings and tie rods, new brake pads plus more. the paint is ehh, but im not buying it to be a show piece, though someone did attempt to paint it satin black so it is all one color. no rust or dents, and interior appears to be in good shape short of the usual dashboard cracking.

if it was a gas motor, i would know more what to look for, but was hoping since this guy is an hr and a half away, i could ask more questions guided by the knowledgeable people here, and once there have an idea what to look for.
thanks in advance for the help!

Robyn
04-20-2016, 06:51
Hello

Welcome to TDP :)

The 6.5 is pretty basic stuff.

Check coolant level (cold)
Check oil in crank case for signs to coolant contamination (Gray and goopy)

Overall "LOOK SEE" for big leaks of coolant, oil, tranny fuid etc.
Look for signs of fuel leaks on or around the engine.

How easy does it start
Ask the seller to leave it cold overnight before you look at it.

Start it up
Should lite off fairly quickly after glow light goes out and you crank it.

Warm it up to operating temp and gauge shows 180-200 F

Check top radiator hose, IS IT REAL HARD ??

Check the coolant overflow and fender area to see if there has been coolant blowing out (Possible head gasket issues)

If things look good so far do a good drive of maybe 5 miles to get a good feel of things under operating conditions.

Recheck under the hood and if all seems well then things are probably pretty good.

Pay attention to overall under hood neatness... does it look like it is factory or has the engine been out and things not real tidy ???

Good luck

extreemthottle
04-21-2016, 06:02
thanks robyn,
that really helped me yesterday. just cant stand people who b.s. this guy said no leaks, etc.. what a waste of time and gas. big pos!!
looking at another 98 turbo, ext. cab. this one is fairly local. cosmetically not great, but at least mechanically sound, with receipts. 4180e trans is new.

hope this is the one! lol
thanks for the help.

Robyn
04-22-2016, 05:45
Good luck

I have been down that very same road, MANY TIMES.

Some folks idea of whats "Cherry" is a far cry from reality.

May the Truck Gods be smiling for ya. :D

extreemthottle
04-22-2016, 05:54
so true!
guy yesterday told me the only thing wrong with the inside was the dash, i asked him if he's sitting in the same truck as i am. lol
appreciate it!
hope they smile on me too!

Good luck

I have been down that very same road, MANY TIMES.

Some folks idea of whats "Cherry" is a far cry from reality.

May the Truck Gods be smiling for ya. :D

Robyn
04-22-2016, 15:11
Good luck in your quest.