PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Goodyear Serpentine belts

StephenA
08-02-2003, 13:59
Recently, I installed a new Carquest serpentine belt and tensioner on my 6.5LTD only to find the tensioner gauge out of range and the belt vibrating almost an inch on either side of the A/C clutch when engaged. Before this, the old belt looked new, but jumped around the A/C compressor like a banshee under load. Upon spinning the compressor by hand, it rotated smoothly with out any hard spots.
Then I ordered a Goodyear belt (part# 4061010 -OEM for GM's $67.00 stock belt) for $18 from Pic Pro Parts at Yahoo and installed it and the tensioner gauge showed perfect alignment, and the belt ran smooth as silk with or without the A/C on. Lifetime warranty on belt from Goodyear, too! Now, it's the only belt for me. ;)

Journeydog
08-02-2003, 16:22
Howdy...

How about a link to the "Pic Pro Parts" site. Tried looking through Yahoo and Google and no such beast.

Thanks...

GARY PAGE
08-02-2003, 17:44
It was the wrong belt. I had the same problem with my 95 due to mid model year changes.

StephenA
08-02-2003, 20:42
Sorry, howdydog, I misssspelled pickpro- Here's the link to their home page:

http://www.pickproparts.com/

The belt can be found at:

http://www.pickproparts.com/PartsList.aspx?AAIASubCategoryID=8905

Gary- what? - Carquest makes one that fits too? Do you have a part number? - I'll compare it with the one I bought.
Thanks -Stephen

StephenA
08-02-2003, 20:47
oops, I meant journeydog, not howdydog!
-Stephen

Journeydog
08-03-2003, 08:32
Stephen...howdydog sounds a whole bunch better than most names I've been called. Thanks for the link info!
-Al

Jon P.
08-22-2003, 11:46
My 99 K2500 Suburban has about 70,000 miles and is running the original belt. I'd like to change it. Pickpro lists 2 belts -- one for the 105 amp alternatorm and one for the 124 amp alternator. My Sub is the 8,600 GVW version with the F65 motor and all the bells and whistles. I had a list of RPO codes, but can't seem to find it. Can anyone tell me which alternator I've got, or what the RPO codes are for the various alternators? Also, if anyone has any tips on changing the belt, I'd appreciate them. I've never done it before. Should I change the tensioner at the same time?

Thanks.

Jon

BTW -- this is one of my first posts, if not the first. I've been on the site since I bought the Sub for almost a year, and learned a ton. I've been lucky with the vehicle -- only problems have been a dead alternator (killed by bad battery cable) and leaking oil cooler lines. Both were replaced under the extended warranty I purchased with the vehicle.

ucdavis
08-22-2003, 12:10
Jon,
If orig. tensioner is working OK, no need to R&R. It has a guage cast into it to show the renge within which the belt should ride (kinda like the marks on your dipstick). If it rides between the marks w/out undue vibration in the belt, just do the belt.
R&R of belt is simple. Just give the belt routing a good lookover B4 removal & put the new one on w/same route (my fan shroud has a decal w/fan routing; yours may too). Tensioner has 1/2" sq. drive socket for backing off tension for belt removal; I use a long-handled ratchet for easy leverage.
Others (as to finding correct belt)-
NAPA will sell you both belts & you can return the wrong one. Just measure the old belt against the two replacements & repackage the wrong one to return for refund. Make yourself a note of the alternator type & belt part# for future. My rig has the hi-amp alternator but lists both as possibles in the parts data bases. Tell your parts house what NAPA will do & they'll match the service.

rjwest
08-22-2003, 13:59
I had all the mix and match problems associated with napa/and others replacement belts/tensionners.

got GM replacemnt parts, All is well again.
GM belt is a Goodyear...

Its cheaper to pay GM price than all the aftermarket parts that are " not exactly" the same.
For the belt/tensioner..

Also , when tensioner is at limits , it chirps, like a bad bearing, makes you think other things are bad.

catmandoo
08-22-2003, 16:52
after i did my waterpump decided time for new belt my gm store was closed and had to go to o'reillys for a gates wanted to know what options rear a/c heat etc and gave me a belt and it worked fine for about 2 weeks til i used the a/c then it decided it didn't like my suburban anymore and took a hike and wilst doing so decide to take 2 fan nuts with it now this wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't in the middle of nebraska finally limped into grand island to cherolet dealer and he came out and took the vin which tells what alt it originally comes with and he gives me a belt which i attempt to put on in the parking lot and won't go so take it back and he says thats the one so i go back and i had to have the tensioner clear to the end of its adjustment to get the belt on something i didn't have to do with the gates. the moral of the story i trust gm more than o'reillys parts books