PDA

View Full Version : Upper control arm. 4x4.

DieselAddict
05-21-2016, 23:09
Hello. I'm out tryna get the upper control arm off my 96 gmc. And that thing just won't pop. The tapered ball joint won't give. And I'm looking for any quick tips to get it out. If I can get any tips. It would be appreciated. I've tried a C-clamp. Bottle jack. N it won't pop.

Dvldog8793
05-22-2016, 04:25
Howdy
Take a hammer and hit the casting the taper is pressed into. Medium hard with a medium hammer.
Several hits might be needed. Sometimes warming up the casting will help.
This has worked every time for me.
Hope this helps

Robyn
05-22-2016, 07:33
Well now

I have removed these by several methods over the years.

IF you don't care about the rubber boot coming out usable, use a pickle fork on the thing.

If you need things to be reusable then use a puller/pusher designed to remove these things.

The little tool will pop the thing right off.

Many auto parts houses offer tool rental, and will likely have a ball joint puller available.

Wailing on it with a club may get it off, but is certainly not the preferred method.

If the hammer method is all you have do this.

Load the threaded stud up with good pressure (jack) then smack the side of the end of the top arm.

The puller is the best choice though.

Good luck

DmaxMaverick
05-22-2016, 08:39
They can be a real bear at times. The above methods should work in most cases. Anymore, I use a pickle fork and air hammer. As Robyn said, this will usually damage/destroy the rubber boot, but can be carefully avoided with the correct size fork. If that doesn't work, I use the air hammer with flat anvil bit on the threaded end (nut installed flush with the bolt end). The pickle fork kits (3-4 size with hammer and air hammer adapters) can be had at Harbor Freight or Ebay for about $20. Very handy tools for other wedge needs, too.

svcattle
05-22-2016, 15:36
One or two hits with a good size hammer works the best

DieselAddict
05-22-2016, 16:11
Yup. Hammer and a modified axe works good. But getting the left side off n having napa send me both right hand control arms on a long weekend don't help very much either. I didn't bother to look at em before starting the job. Wutta joke. Ahwell. Can't do much about it now. But watch dollars fly out the window all weekend.

DieselAddict
05-22-2016, 18:46
If I grind off the riveted ball joint. And put it on the other side n bolt it. Would this be secure enuff?

Dvldog8793
05-23-2016, 04:44
Grinding off/bolting on is standard for replacement of the upper ball joint on the GMT400 type trucks.
I use Grade8 bolts with a center-lock nut.
Make sure the bolts fit in the hole tightly. 5/16 IIRC.
Make sure the mating surfaces are clean.
I don't know if the ball joints are side specific or not.
Hope this helps!

svcattle
05-23-2016, 19:00
Yup. Hammer and a modified axe works good. But getting the left side off n having napa send me both right hand control arms on a long weekend don't help very much either. I didn't bother to look at em before starting the job. Wutta joke. Ahwell. Can't do much about it now. But watch dollars fly out the window all weekend.

Gotta love when things go like that it's even better when it's your only vehicle and you live 15 miles from town