PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Replacement

More Power
05-24-2016, 11:55
Safelite (www.safelite.com) replaced the original windshield in my 2001 GMC last week. Overall a good experience.

I drove the truck to their facility, so they had all the time, personnel and equipment to do the job correctly. They needed about 1.5 hours.

With new Bosch wipers, the total bill came to $220.

They had replaced glass for me before (some years ago) in different vehicles, and gave me a $20 discount as a return customer. Aside from a couple of easily removed smudges of sealant on a fender, the job was super...

The original windshield had 3-4 rock chips near the top of the glass. This past winter, on a near zero but sunny day, about 4" of snow slid part way down off the roof of the truck and onto the warm glass. This caused a very uneven thermal expansion to occur, which cracked the glass in several places - wherever the rock ships were.

arveetek
05-24-2016, 15:11
My wife's 04 GMC Envoy got a large rock chip on Sunday. Before I could get a chance to have it repaired, it cracked overnight from the temperature fluctuations. :(

My local glass shop quoted me a few dollars less then Safelite, but I've been tempted to go ahead and use Safelite since they will come to the house. However, I think I'll go with the local company since they're a small, locally-owned business and I personally know the owners.

Casey

EdHale
05-25-2016, 02:18
First since 2001? Amazing. I had them replace 3 in one year a few years back. I don't even remember how many since new, but I'm sure my insurance company does.

Kennedy
05-25-2016, 14:02
Typically I catch the chips and have them repaired before they run, but I've taken some nasty ones on occasion that cannot be repaired. When that happens I make sure to request a windshield with the tinted top band. You know like they used to do? Makes quite a difference.

More Power
06-03-2016, 14:32
First since 2001? Amazing. I had them replace 3 in one year a few years back. I don't even remember how many since new, but I'm sure my insurance company does.

Windshields usually last me quite a while. I do my best not to tailgate.