PDA

View Full Version : My intercooler rub hole fix.

oneton
06-04-2016, 18:01
Well, the truck seized up a idler pulley (345,000 miles) the other day so it was a perfect time to dig in and get all the little things fixed at the same time. I had a band-aid on my rub hole, made of a thin piece of aluminum and a half a roll of duct tape...lol.. This is what I came up and feel it is a rock solid fix and shouldn't have another issue.

I made a big enough patch of 1/8" aluminum to cover the hole and then beat the patch to fit the pipes contour. Welded the patch and then used an extra upper power steering hose rubber I had to cover the pipe. Hopefully I'll never have that issue again.

David

More Power
06-06-2016, 08:14
Good job! The thin tubing isn't too hard to weld when using a TIG welder (and someone who knows how to use it). I needed to produce a custom set of aluminum IC pipes for my conversion project. I had a local guy who builds custom snow machines do the welding for me.

oneton
06-06-2016, 15:05
Thanks MP! Hopefully that will be the end of any more holes. I just couldn't stomach spending 300 bucks for new aftermarket pipes with as little gain as JK said. GM's price for just the single was more than that!..grrrr