PDA

View Full Version : Injection Pump Mounting Flange Nuts Missing

tloomis
08-02-2003, 19:33
Hi Guys;
Been a while since I posted anything. That is because my truck has been running perfectly, until now.
Here is my problem. Yesterday I was driving my truck around town and had stopped at LOWES for some building material. When I started the truck I hear this terrible metal rattely noise. It would go away when I would increase RPMs above idle. I thought it was a bearing going on one of the assessories. So I drove it straight home about 3 miles. I opened the hood and looked around and noticed that he Fuel Injection Pump was vibrating quite noticeably. I immediately shut it down and started looking. I noticed that at least two of the Injection Pump monting flange nuts were missing. I couldn't see the third too obstructed but I believe it must be still there or I don't believe the truck would have still ran.

Sorry for the long story but, here is my question.
1. Can any of you guys tell me what size and type nut I need or part number?
2. Do you think that the Injection Pump was damaged? (The truck ran fine.)
3. What all should I check to ensure there is no damage to the IP.

Thanks for your time.

patrick m.
08-02-2003, 20:08
the part to receive the most damage will be the pump drive gear.
you will probably have to pull front cover to inspect gear mounting flange, and gear teeth.

DogDiesel
08-03-2003, 19:44
15mm wrench size, 10mm shank. Find a couple of new nuts, line the mark on the pump with the one on the engine, tighten it down and crank er up. You should now be able to relax, go inside and have your favorite drink.

Wayne.

tloomis
08-04-2003, 00:01
Thanks for the replies. Ill let you know how it goes.