PDA

View Full Version : Ses 74

Warren96
06-27-2016, 06:39
For the last couple of days, cold or hot, it would have a delayed engagement into drive. Yesterday 36, 74, 84, 85,86, and 99 popped up. Checking again this morning, it only threw DTC 74, Transmission input speed sensor. Or as the driveability service manual calls TIS. Fluid is clear. Has anyone else had this problem?

Robyn
06-27-2016, 07:11
With all those codes it is likely a ground issue.

Check the group of ground wires at the Rear of the RH cyl head near the tranny dip stick.

Be sure all the battery cable connections are clean and tight (both ends)

Tossing all those codes at once is generally a sign of connections or grounds

Robyn
06-27-2016, 07:22
Just thinking

The 94 trucks had the power feed from the RH battery and the alternator connects to the LH battery.

There is a#2 (approx) wire that connects to the RH + cable and runs to the junction block on the fire wall.

The batteries are each grounded to the engine and the crossover cable connects the pair.

A bad ground on one can cause all manners of issues.

Clean and check all the cable connections.

Then with the truck running be sure you have 14 volts at the junction + terminal as well as both batteries.

Actually, check the voltages first and see if you get any anomalies.

**** note****

A worn out ignition switch can cause these troubles as well.

Cables and such first and if the issue persists replace the ign switch.

Very odd to see all those codes.

Just screams voltage or ground issue.

Good luck
Keep us in the loop.

Warren96
06-28-2016, 07:33
First of all thanks for your help on giving me your insight on this project. I reset the puter last night and after another short drive today, we will see how the puter likes that. I have had this since she was new,and yes I have found a few bad grounds over it's 22 years. But it still has to be the nicest vehicle I've ever had! Again thanks!

Warren96
07-12-2016, 12:48
Resetting the computer 5 or 6 times,and checking before I leave the driveway shows that no other codes are set, and that it doesn't light the SES on the dash. The code is just stored. Checking further, the wiring is good and the coil in the sensor is open. Rock Auto has a good price on one! Thanks again for the insight from Robin,on my problem!