PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 seized while troubleshooting fuel system

Sparky34
07-31-2016, 16:43
My 1996 6.5 TD Suburban 2500 ran fine when I parked it...next morning it turned over fine but wouldn't start. Got a fairly detailed fuel system troubleshooting guide online and went to work. Confirmed that fuel made it to the injector pump, but not to the injectors. Got most of the way through the troubleshooting process (just the PMD and IP left) when the motor seized hard while turning over with the starter. No warning, just "clunk". Any thoughts? Is there something in the IP coupling that could fail and cause this? Thanks!

trbankii
07-31-2016, 16:50
How are your batteries? It wouldn’t be the first time I heard of someone running the batteries down while troubleshooting.

trbankii
07-31-2016, 17:09
And when you say seized - have you tried turning it by hand with a wrench on the front bolt?

svcattle
07-31-2016, 18:13
I'm going to say batteries as well. also possible you cooked the starter

a5150nut
07-31-2016, 18:23
If by seized you mean it suddenly quit rotating I would first try turning by hand with a wrench. If it is indeed seized, pull all the glow plugs and try again. If you get fuel or water out the glow plug openings you have some serious internal damage. If you continue to try turning it with the starter you will increase the amount of damage.

Sparky34
07-31-2016, 21:06
Thanks for the replies. Definitely not the batteries...both are new and fully charged (the starter is also new), and the motor was never cranked for more than 5 seconds at a time...just long enough to either take voltage readings at specified check points or to show fuel from the bleeder. I engaged the starter to check signals at the PCM and it spun the motor vigorously, then "clank". After that, turning the key resulted in a very healthy engagement of the starter solenoid and, a couple of times, a heavy metallic clank from the motor, but no motion. It sounded definitely like something is jammed up in there. The PCM is fairly new and remotely mounted on a large heat sink, but there was no fuel being delivered to the injectors...that's what got me thinking about the IP. I haven't tried turning the crank by hand yet (i'll try that tomorrow), but did relax the serpentine belt tensioner and checked that all the ancillaries are turning freely.

Slippery Smitt
08-01-2016, 07:30
Don't overestimate the "new" starter being bad. Seen that happen on many of vechicles, esspecially if a cheaper starter is used.

Smitty

DmaxMaverick
08-01-2016, 08:00
Don't overestimate the "new" starter being bad. Seen that happen on many of vechicles, esspecially if a cheaper starter is used.

Smitty

No doubt. Add to that, if the support bracket isn't installed, or poor quality bolts are used.

trbankii
08-01-2016, 08:29
Add to that, if the support bracket isn't installed, or poor quality bolts are used.

Yep. Could very easily have sheared the starter bolts (or other things) if the bracket wasn’t re-installed or installed improperly.

svcattle
08-01-2016, 17:23
My vote is still the starter or barter cable to it also even new batteries can go dead or get weak enough not turn engine but still make a clank trying to turn the engine . Will the world ever know ?