PDA

View Full Version : Crash course in driving a 6.2

callmebob
08-03-2016, 18:01
Hi guys!

I've never had a diesel before. I know my way around a motor pretty well, mostly through rebuilding a few motorcycle engines.

This Saturday, I might picking up one of these former surplus air force rigs. The van is 500 miles away in Arizona.

http://media.collectorcarpricetracker.com/auction_data/2011/7/15/110712832524/1.jpg

The van is a 1988 with a 6.2l, 3-speed auto, and 4.10 gears. It will probably be slow as tar. It has 23,000 miles on it from driving around base as a radio van. There's a good chance I'll take her home with me so I want to know as much as I can about driving behind one of these motors.

Any advice you all could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

Bigshankhank
08-04-2016, 06:27
Yes, it will be slow but it will plod along continuously fairly well.
Like you I came to my 6.2 from a long line of motorcycle and Jeep engines and this was my first diesel. There are common problems that you will need to look out for which are searchable in this forum Air in the fuel lines, worn out/non-functioning glow plugs, bad fuel filters, bad engine grounds, weak batteries. One would hope with military mechanics that it would be in pretty decent shape, but a military mechanic is human like any other and a non-combat vehicle that sees (apparently) very little use may only get a cursory "Yeah looks good" kind of service work done to it.
Something non-engine specific to check is the condition of the tires. I wouldn't trust any tires more than 6-7 years old, even with very few miles on them. At low speed on base they may not have been too concerned about tire condition, but 500 miles across a hot desert highway in the summer would give me reason to worry.

Good luck!

trbankii
08-04-2016, 07:22
Most things would be similar for just about any unknown vehicle you’re planning on taking for a 500 mile trip through the unknown… :)

Go over all the fluids and take a good look at any rubber parts - hoses, tires, belts, etc. As Hank says, for something that likely saw trips measured in yards around an airport there are likely to be a few “good enough” or “we’ll replace it when it breaks” components.

I’d also suggest driving around town for awhile before setting off cross country. Get it up to speed and push it a bit. Better to have an issue come up when you’re close to repair shops and parts stores than fifty miles between towns.

Stock up on a few items - oil, coolant, brake fluid, etc. Maybe throw in spare belts.

I’m not saying a 28 year old vehicle cannot be dependable. I feel that my ’93 and ’94 are dependable, but I also went over them and was a bit cautious at first to make sure everything was operating reliably.

Big Ray
09-02-2016, 16:23
...bring earplugs...:D

that would be a cool camp/hunt rig.