PDA

View Full Version : Injection pump computer code

Andy K
08-05-2016, 16:30
Newbie non-mechanic here. Was advised to enter this greasy forum in hopes of an answer. I have a 1999 with 230k. She has been a work in progress since purchase - new PMD (located in snorkel), starter, alternator, brakes and on.... She was bought to pull a travel trailer from New York to Alaska. It was a journey. But we made it!

The latest escapade is that while pulling the Harley on a trailer through Canada we stopped overnight, woke up, and here is where it gets interesting - started her up (a bit of trouble..."water in fuel light" came on briefly) went to grab a bite to eat and DAMN. She would not start. Turned over fine but, nothing, no nothing. After a bit of trying (2 hours worth) gave up and went to the local garage. He self admitted he is not a diesel guy but would help. After 1 MONTH of asking what was up he finally got around to looking at it and said it is the injector pump. I asked if he checked the fuel filter and transfer pump - nope. He replace the fuel filter and "checked" the transfer pump pressure and still nothing.

A couple questions -
1) Anything else it could be?
2) I have a lead on a slightly used 1998 injection pump (no core charge!) -
good idea?
3) any programming changes needed if pump replaced?

BTW - the truck is still a 4 1/2 hour ferry trip then a 3 hour trip over a pass that has snow year round.

svcattle
08-05-2016, 22:15
Right after I bought mine the pmd went out even though it had just been replaced the dorman brand is lifetime warranty so I just took it back and got a new one out it on and away we went now I keep a spare in the jockey box . I would definitely do some testing before you go throwing a new one on . Also I'd strongly suggest getting at least : the trouble shooting & repair guide from this site. Have you checked for fuel at the injectors and also for power at the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injection pump

svcattle
08-05-2016, 23:46
I'd beware a used injection pump unless you had it tested then I still don't know

svcattle
08-06-2016, 17:00
Heres a list of things to check
Glow plug circuit operation it doesn't matter if it's 100 degrees mine will not start without cycling the glow plugs .

No fuel to the injectors this also includes no fuel In the tank yes it has happened before!
Air in the system bleed the injectors

Contaminated fuel

a5150nut
08-06-2016, 17:36
How about the fuel line coming off the tank? If its sucking air no fuel.

Fuel pressure on stock lift pump will only be about 4 lbs. no load.

Warren96
08-11-2016, 07:28
It could be a lot of things, are you ready to get your hands greasy yet?