PDA

View Full Version : Cdr valve replacement

svcattle
08-17-2016, 00:23
So after studying in my diesel page book about causes of excessive blow buy it lists the cdr as a potential cause ? Is it worth spending 107 $ on a new one to see if it changes anything? The Haynes manual says it needs replaced at a certain millage interval . When I bought the truck last year it had no blow buy at all I've put about 20,000 miles on and now I have the steam engine stack imitation when I pull the oil fill cap ?
Thanks Shaun

trbankii
08-17-2016, 04:01
Read through the discussion here: http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=43954

Kennedy
08-17-2016, 05:31
Don't waste your money. The CDR is a wide open pot/chamber and the new one will be no different. The purpose of the CDR is to close if somehow the turbo decided to suck really hard (plugged air filter) and that is it.

Dvldog8793
08-17-2016, 05:52
Howdy
Most of the time the CDR is pretty indestructible. If it is REALLY nasty and you want to clean it use hot soapy water and dry it out real good. I would be careful using solvents as there is rubber and maybe some glues inside that could be damaged depending on what you use.

They are somewhat testable. There is a small vent hole in one side. You can apply VERY low pressure(over pressure will damage) air to that hole and watch the rubber diaphram function.
All this tells you is that the seal is functioning and holding pressure and that the return spring is working. That's really the only parts in there. Of all the vehicles I've owned and the ones I worked on in USMC I never saw one fail. I cut one apart once just find out what it looked like and how it worked.
Pretty sad the amount of money they get for a very simple item.

svcattle
08-17-2016, 13:27
Thanks for the replies guys I'll save the money and use it to buy a tank of fuel .