PDA

View Full Version : Cranks but wont start

Woolley59
08-24-2016, 07:11
I'm new to the diesel world...I have a 1996 chevy suburban k1500 with the 6.5 liter turbo diesel...I tried starting it a couple days ago and it wouldn't start so I bought new glow plugs for it and I was only able to swap out 5 out of the 8...after I swapped them out it started just fine...than I went to start it this morning and it is doing the same thing where it wants to start but won't...what should I do? Could it possibly be because I didn't change the other 3 glow plugs out since I can't get to them?

Robyn
08-24-2016, 07:34
Welcome to TDP :):)

Is this rig one you recently bought ??

Some history would help a bit :)

With the warm weather we have now you should be able to start fine with 5 plugs.

2 things are needed to start a diesel

HEAT (Glow plugs)
FUEL

Does the engine crank over fairly well ??

Slow cranking is usually a no go.

Low batteries, poor connections at grounds as well as ++ cables

Make sure batteries are in good condition and charged well.

When was the fuel filter last changed ??

A failed lift pump (mounted on the frame inside the rails about under the drivers seat) can make starting really tough.

A failed check valve in the lift pump can cause fuel drain back and tough starting.

More info please and we can move ahead.

JUST AN FYI

Changing glow plugs

Likely the ones you could not reach were cyl 4-6-8 (Right side)

Jack up the rig and block securely (In park and rear wheels blocked SAFETY YA KNOW)

Remove the right front wheel
Remove the rubber inner fender flap (With care you may save the plastic push pins/ likely new will be needed)

The nice opening over the frame will allow access to the two center plugs.
The rear most one, depending on if the truck has a non factory down pipe will need to be accessed from under the truck.

Not too hard, but you need to get comfy and then you can reach up and around the down pipe to access the rear plug/wire .

*************If you can get it started again.*****************

Engine at idle
Open the filter water drain THAT IS LOCATED NEAR THE FRONT of the engine on top and is a little T type fitting with a hose that goes down.
If the engine stalls with the line open then the lift pump is not working.

Good luck
Robyn

Woolley59
08-24-2016, 08:25
I purchased the truck in april from a good buddy of mine...he isn't sure when the fuel filter was changed as he got it from his dad when he passed away...it seems like there is enough cranking power it just won't start...is there a way to check the lift pump to see if it is still good or not without it running?

Woolley59
09-25-2016, 07:12
So ive changed fuel filter, fuel lift pump, pmd, 7 out of 8 glow plugs, and starter. It started for a couple days after doin those things to it and now it won't start again. Batteries are at 100% and 94% charge. What could be causing it not to start?

a5150nut
09-26-2016, 07:59
Have you confirmed fuel at filter and cracked injector lines to see it is making it past the pump?

How are you checking battery life?

6.5s need 100rpm cranking before the computer will let the injection pump send fuel to the squirts.

Fuel shut off solenoid working? Can you hear/feel it click when key is cycled. and are you getting voltage to solenoid? if not it could be the key switch. down on the side of steering column near pedals.

trbankii
09-26-2016, 08:41
The other issue is the condition of the battery cables and grounds. Even if they look clean from the outside, they can get corrosion inside the cable (well known issue). I’d take a good, close look at their condition. Even with good batteries, cables in poor condition could be making a difference.

svcattle
09-26-2016, 12:15
Bad fsd maybe

rustyk
10-04-2016, 18:16
The other issue is the condition of the battery cables and grounds. Even if they look clean from the outside, they can get corrosion inside the cable (well known issue). I’d take a good, close look at their condition. Even with good batteries, cables in poor condition could be making a difference.

A quick check for bad batt connections is to turn on the headlights and crank - if they go out or are very dim, clean the terminals.

svcattle
10-06-2016, 01:37
Did we ever get it goin