PDA

View Full Version : fuel filter ?

bd1028
08-28-2016, 10:13
I saw a previous post that said stay away from the plastic body filters . what is the problem with these ? I just put one on from Napa .

rapidoxidationman
08-28-2016, 18:20
The problem (seldom seen) is a leak between the filter face and the filter mount face. The O-ring on the filter can't get a great seal between the housing and the sometimes warped piece of plastic that is the filter itself.

Uncommon problem with a plastic NAPA filter. Practically unheard of problem with a steel case filter.

I prefer the OEM filter. It's steel case, it works well, and the filter threads onto the housing easily. Some aftermarket filters have the threads cut into the filter case starting a bit too deeply and can be a genuine PITA to install in my experience (Baldwin comes to mind).

EdHale
08-29-2016, 01:33
I have been using Baldwin filters since my truck was new and I have never had a problem installing one. I guess I'm just lucky, or after changing the filter 16 times maybe I have just gotten good at it.

Kennedy
08-29-2016, 07:46
I saw a previous post that said stay away from the plastic body filters . what is the problem with these ? I just put one on from Napa .

All other filters are multi layer. The Wix/Napa/Car Quest units are single layer. They are also prone to leaking air in. I've seen a good many cases where the filter was installed and immediate issues only to be cured with changing back to a higher quality unit.

Our Baldwin unit prices lower than Napa in most cases.