PDA

View Full Version : upper ball joints

dkross
08-29-2016, 02:28
Hi guys, about 5k miles ago I put an RCD suspension kit on my 98 6.5 turbo diesel k2500 burb.
I gave the whole underneath a freshen up (new bushes, upper and lower ball joints, tie rod, everything). The kit is awesome, great ride, huge improvement.
Problem is 5k miles later I have done both upper ball joints.
Guys what have I done wrong and which upper ball joints do I need to get so this doesn't happen again.

trbankii
08-29-2016, 05:26
I’m not familiar with RCD, but I’m seeing 6” lift suspension kits (LINK (http://downsouthmotorsports.com/b-81067-rcd-suspension.html)) - is that what you used?

Lifting a vehicle to that extent is going to put additional stresses on the components. Then the larger tires that go with such a lift further stress components. If the kit uses stock-style ball joints, I can very well see them wearing out that quickly.

dkross
08-29-2016, 12:31
Thanks for replying.
Yes I did lift the truck up 4 1/2 " and added 33" tyres for a total of 5 1/2" of lift.
The kit claims to be the opposite with additional spacers so that the everything underneath lines up straight to eliminate the excess wearing of the joints. That is why I bought it.
Are there any other, heavy duty upper ball joints that I can purchase that are up to the job

arveetek
08-29-2016, 12:40
I only use genuine Moog suspension parts. I replaced everything on the front of my K1500 Tahoe over 2 years ago, and haven't had a single issue. I'm running 33" tires on a stock setup, with a 1" crank on the torsion bars.

I've found the best price of Moog parts is Rockauto.com.

Casey

trbankii
08-29-2016, 12:57
Same as arveetek - have had really good results from Moog components.

dkross
08-29-2016, 13:56
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

twaddle
08-29-2016, 18:02
If it is the type with 4 nuts and bolts securing it, have you put the flange with the bolt holes on the correct side of the upper suspension arm/link? Just a thought.
Good luck.