PDA

View Full Version : Hard Start/Timing Set??

Phil Holmen
11-06-2003, 15:48
I am going to have to give up and take my truck to the Stealership to get the timing looked at. I will start 100% if I unplug the CTS not much for smoke or anything. But if I try to start it without the CTS unplugged there is a whole lot of chugging and white smoke to get it started after a few attempts. I have replaced all battery cables, new batteries, newer starter , new quick heat glow plugs, new glow plug controller, ran 4 ga wire from battery to glowplug controller. Replaced all rubber hoses and o-rings. OPS switch replace and relay added, lift pump pressure tested. Any other ideas??? What should I have everything set to....???????? The offset was suppposedly changed to -1.94 last time I took the truck in but it doesn't rattle like alot of 6.5's I have heard.

tom.mcinerney
11-06-2003, 18:30
Seems you covered the bases. Maybe the CTS isn't reading right? The PCM commands the glow controller based on the CTS output, that's about the only stone unturned now--and the fact it starts normal with disconnect says the only problem is the sender??

Phil Holmen
11-06-2003, 19:38
Forgot to mention that I replaced the CTS also... it hasn't seemed to start as well since the new pump was installed but that was in the spring/early summer... not as cold out...

hayesash
11-06-2003, 20:48
Phil
I have the same problem as you. I have been watching your posts for quite some time now hoping for an answer to my problems. I was hoping the 4ga cable was the answer. It's about -15 here right now so tommorrow I am going to try more glow time to see if that will do it. Keep us posted as to your results and if I have any success I will let you know.

Pat

Phil Holmen
11-07-2003, 08:17
Pat have you tried unplugging the CTS to see if that helps...??

tom.mcinerney
11-07-2003, 16:51
Maybe the new glowplugs are different from old/OEM. They may just need more time. {If so, maybe insert switch in CTS cable for starting?}. If the power/efficiency is OK, i wouldn't worry about noise too low. Fresh injectors are quieter, these light engines are designed- indirect prechamber injection- to be quieter. If performance down (in addition to starting) then pursue....

kowsoc
11-07-2003, 20:56
I don't know if this will help but I always cycle my glow plugs twice on the first start of the day...about 10 seconds between cycles. Also a fuel conditioner with cetane boost helps the self ignition quality of the fuel and helps restore fuel economy with lighter winter fuel.

hayesash
11-11-2003, 12:47
Phil
Unplugging the cts does make it start quicker. I tried more glow time and that seems to help as well. Maybe a manual glow plug switch is the answer.
Pat

Don Boland
11-12-2003, 10:22
I have had this problem myself since last Feb when I replaced injectors, plugs, and added JK's 3 1/2 exhaust (which was a good move!). It isn't just the starting for me, but the fact that when I don't unplug the CTS, I get hardly any pump advance. I really notice the difference when I plug it back in. Oddly enough, it has been starting OK of late unless I am at my place in Joseph (about 4000ft and a lot colder!). Irritating cause the buggy runs so much better than it ever has. It's just the starting problem. I want to add a few more things, chip, boost control, fan clutch and fan mods, etc., but want to solve this before I dump more cash. So I am really curious about what you find out too!

DB

94' CC Dually 4x4, 6.5td, Kennedy 3.5" exh, FSD cooler mounted on firewall outside of hydroboost - plug down! 189,000 miles. Going for a chip and boost mods (and gauges) next along with fan clutch!

86' Suburban 4x4, 6.2, bad head-gaskets (they're next!), run's great but loses coolant! Wife hates it - I love it! 310,000miles

00' bug TDI, love the mileage and response and the OC's are easy. The rest is a pain to work on. JUST SOLD!

96' Saab 900SE convertible - Fun and easy to work on (sounds unreal for a Saab!).

95 Suburban - 5.7 gasser; The wifes buggy! JUST SOLD with 197,000 trouble free miles - GOT LUCKY?

03' Trailblazer - feels like it has as much ooomph as the wifes old burby - maybe more?