PDA

View Full Version : Oil pan install 6.5 TD

CK240sx
09-05-2016, 21:13
I'm having trouble installing the oil pan. I've started from the middle and worked my way towards the front and rear of the pan but once I get to the front or rear the holes don't line up. Does anyone have any advise? Anyone have a tightening sequence? Felpro oil pan gasket with RTV silicone gasket sealant (truck info in sig).

Dvldog8793
09-06-2016, 05:40
Howdy
If the pan is a new made in china replacement, you might have problems with the holes.
Never done a 6.5 but I have done a few others and what I did was start in middle with a couple bolts just in enough to hold and then went to the front and rear with a couple and then filled in the holes.
tighten each bolt a few threads at a time and work your way around.
IMHO- I do not use a gasket with silicon as it makes the gasket slippery and has a tendency to slide out between bolts. I use a spray gasket tack or just a gasket with nothing. Make sure the metal is clean and DRY.
Another great option is a product called RightStuff, I think is all they used in the factory.
Good luck!

Robyn
09-06-2016, 07:26
X2

The factory pans always line up perfectly.

There are several aftermarket pans available and most are junk.

Where did the pan come from ??

Engine in the rig now or on a stand.

The pan is normally installed with high temp black silicone on the side rails and the front cover and the rubber piece at the rear main area.

The factory never used gaskets on the pan or the valve covers.

If the holes do not line up then the pan is likely a reproduction unit.

CK240sx
09-07-2016, 11:30
The pan is factory as far as I know and the motor is in the truck so I'm on my back under the truck :(
I'm gonna try it again tomorrow by just using the rubber gasket that goes on the rear part of the pan, and high temp RTV sealant for that gasket, and the RTV sealant for the rest of the pan instead of the felpro gasket that goes over the flat part of the pan.
Thanks for the help yall.

More Power
09-07-2016, 13:28
GM didn't use a perimeter oil pan gasket on the 6.5. They did use the rubber lip seal at the back of the pan, where in rises over the main cap, but no gasket otherwise. GM used RTV silicone to seal the rest.

Insert a couple bolts near the center of each side of the pan, then start the front bolts, then the rear bolts, then the rest. Rotate between them all till the bolts are just snug. I'd leave it to sit overnight to allow the silicone sealant to cure, then finish torqueing them the next day.