PDA

View Full Version : Blow by video

svcattle
09-08-2016, 21:19
Here's a video of my blow buy is it excessive https://youtu.be/hduY2KerYgM

Dvldog8793
09-09-2016, 04:51
Howdy
I currently own and drive 5 6.2/6.5s and have had others in the past. I also was in charge of 24 6.2s in the USMC. I have never seen blow-by that severe. This doesn't mean that it's not within limits, just that I have never seen it like that. All of mine you have to hold your hand over the oil hole to FEEL the blow by.
Hope this helps.

Robyn
09-09-2016, 05:38
There is a definite "huff" to it, meaning that there is likely one or two cylinders that are contributing far more.

Are you getting a lot of sloppy oil blow over in the turbo inlet ???

svcattle
09-09-2016, 18:33
Last year I drove this truck all summer and not a bit of blow buy this spring I started it up and now this I've never ran the truck hot I've hit 230 like 2 times ever and the exhaust up until about 2 months ago the waste gate was bypassed and the egt wouldn't go over 400 now I've got the wastegate working properly and it won't go over 900 . I have not pulled the inlet of the turbo yet to check that

Robyn
09-10-2016, 07:57
Stuck rings from sitting maybe.

You can try this.

Drain the crank case oil out. (Engine not hot)

Refill with ATF
Start and keep a close eye on the oil pressure VERY CLOSE

As the engine warms up and the already thin oil thins more the pressure is gonna drop.

NO ROMPING THE BEAST EITHER.

When oil pressure drops down into the area of 10 psi or ?? at idle then shut down and let stand.

Drain out and change the oil and filter with your fav stuff.

The extreme detergent/additives package in the ATF can help loosen up sticky/stuck rings.

You can also add some of the "Patent" ring free skunk piss to the oil for a while.

It's a crap shoot at this point other than a tear down and O'haul.

I have used the tranny oil trick on a couple with fair results.

Good luck

svcattle
09-13-2016, 15:00
Cold crank video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkFXI8JQ0RE&feature=share

Robyn
09-13-2016, 15:28
There is a low hole in the bunch.

Very easy to hear it as you crank it.

Most likely the reason for the blow by.

Get a compression test as see wasssup

svcattle
09-14-2016, 00:38
There is a low hole in the bunch.

Very easy to hear it as you crank it.

Most likely the reason for the blow by.

Get a compression test as see wasssup

Will do I have access to a compression test set

svcattle
09-14-2016, 11:56
What does a rebuild cost on one of these

More Power
09-14-2016, 13:08
kits will run you a grand or thereabouts. Machine work extra, and depends on local costs.

Get the compression test results. Discover what is causing any low cylinder. It could be that solving that problem will cost a lot less.

svcattle
09-14-2016, 19:19
Thanks for the reply . Ill run a test on er

Robyn
09-15-2016, 08:25
Jim is Spot on $$$$ wise.

This said, you can find a lot of great deals on ebay for surplus stuff at very reasonable prices.

These engine tend to last a long time with minimal cylinder wear.

I have been into some that had nearly perfect cylinders at 200 K miles.

Head gaskets
Rings
Bearings
Head bolt set
Gasket set for engine

You can do a pretty fair "patch up" for a few hundred dollars if you shop a bit.

Stay away from odd ball stuff.

I have scored great deals on ebay for top brand stuff.

A lot of MIL stuff shows up there too from time to time

Keep us in the loop.

svcattle
09-15-2016, 23:38
At this point I've got to decide whether it's worth a rebuild or just run er till she pops the body is shot the interior is shot and the doors are ready to fall off . The truck still runs really strong so I am not quite sure what I'll do. I wouldn't mind seeing if I could rebuild a 6.5 and have it last but maybe it's not worth the trouble this engine is about 10 years old with only about 80,000 miles would have to look at the paper work to get the exact miles

Robyn
09-16-2016, 08:21
Tough call there

When the rig reaches that point then its tough to justify a fresh engine and the $$$$