PDA

View Full Version : Rear Starter Bracket

Tanaga
10-01-2016, 23:02
Im brand new to this site and to diesels in general. My question is: do all 6.2 diesels need and came with the rear starter bracket? I recently removed the starter out of my 1990 crew cab and noticed that it didn't have one. I'm a little concerned because I don't want my bolts to break or worse yet have the block damaged.

Thanks.

Tanaga
10-02-2016, 08:09
I went over the the 6.2/6.5 Tech forum and found my answer. It sounds like all 6.2 and 6.5's are supposed to have the bracket. There must be 2 different sized brackets right? One for the regular starters and one for the gear reduction starters.

Thanks

Dvldog8793
10-02-2016, 19:37
Howdy
Welcome to The Diesel Page!
Yes two different brackets. If you handy with metal, neither one is that hard to make.
I expect since you found out about the brackets that you already found this out as well but....
Make sure you use NEW bolts(I like GM ones) and also torque them to spec.

Robyn
10-03-2016, 07:38
What Dog said.

The original bolts have a knurled (raised/upset) area just past the threads to pilot the bolt in the hole "snug" to keep it from wiggling.

When the "Tail hook" is left off the starter it is only a matter of time before the bolts can/will break and many times they don't and the outer area of the block breaks off instead. :eek::eek::eek::eek: