PDA

View Full Version : Remote E fuel system

Sean1369
10-10-2016, 17:34
I recently acquired an 86 K20 with a 6.2 and an auto trans, it is for my gf and will eventually be a dually. Anyway.

I plan to get rid of the stock lift pump and run an electric inline fuel pump with a 10 micron spin off fuel water separator before the pump and a 2 micron spin off fuel filter after the pump. I am going mount all of it in a cross box in the bed of the truck, I also plan to use high flow injectors, turn up the IP possibly an aftermarket one, and turbo like the ATT or a holset, I haven't decided on that yet.

The stock 6.5T LP supplies the IP with 25-35 GPH at 8-12 PSI. I have found multiple pumps that flow at max 35 GPH and are adjustable from 8-14 PSI, will the turned up IP and boost require more supply to the IP from the LP? Would I benefit from a 45 GPH/15 PSI pump? Would I need a stronger pump because it will be pulling through one filter and pushing through another as well as it being elevated above the fuel tank lever so it will have to work against gravity? Will I need to increase fuel supply to the IP as boost increases? Because I was also thinking about running one of the Bosch 044 universal pumps and using a return less FPR just before the IP, and those FPRs also have a boost reference port that increases pressure relative to boost at a 1:1 ratio, is that something that would be beneficial?

Sorry for the long post but I was just trying to get it all out there. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Dvldog8793
10-12-2016, 04:52
Howdy
Not sure where you are going to find the turbo kit or if you are going to fab it but....
-Make sure you have a reliable fuel shut off that is controlled by the engine(oil pressure or rpm) not a switch.
-Don't turn up the IP right away. run it first and see how it behaves and smokes. You shouldn't be rolling coal just cause it looks cool.;)
-Gauges are an absolute must have. Boost and EGT before you even turn the key.
-We have a few 6.2's: one with ATS turbo, one non-turbo lots of mods, one pretty much stock. We also have a few 6.5 turbos with various mods.

-IMHO...I would either clean-up the 6.2 and leave it non-turbo or find a 6.5 with factory turbo. Sometimes you can find the whole truck for less than buying a motor...then you also have a parts rig.:D

There are MANY posts and articles on this site about what you are thinking of doing. Use the search engine and coffee.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!

Sean1369
10-12-2016, 18:28
I plan to fab a turbo set up using 6.5T manifolds and intake and I'll probably end up using a holset for a charger, I literally have a pile of them in my garage (he351, he341, 35/40 hybrid, and a bunch of 35s) and I did try the search, I just didn't find anything that really answered my questions. And I know about the gauges, that goes without saying in any diesel, I have had plenty of Cummins and Powerstrokes, currently have a built 24v and 12v, a 4bt swap project, and a gen one 7.3 daily driver with a dyno proven 360/700 to the wheels. This 6.2 build is just going to be something fun for me and my gf to do together and I think it would be cool to put down some respectable numbers with a 30 year old diesel. My main concern is the fuel system because I really don't want to starve the IP of fuel, I know what it needs in stock form, I'm curious as to what it will need when it's turned up and being feed boost, and if those pumps are strong enough to push pull through 2 filters ABOVE the fuel tank. Im almost leaning towards the Bosch 044 universal because that has been proven to work and a non return regulator just before the IP. I guess the question with that route is if I should use the boost reference line that increases fuel pressure as boost increases.